Dry Yeast with Extract Kits??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meatball358

Reaction score
Ive been using Austin Homebrew Kits for my past 3 batches and have spent the extra 4 bucks for the white labs yeast. After some recent research Ive come to realize that liquid yeast may not be necessary.

My question is: Do extract Kits come with specific strains of dry yeast if you opt for it? or is it just standard bread-type yeast?

I only ask because when I select the option for yeast it specifically says the strain of white labs yeast but does not specify a strain for the "dry yeast option"

Can anyone help me out with this..very confusing :drunk:

there are brewing specific dry yeasts. their selection isn't quite as wide as liquid. also they are cheaper and you typically only need 1 packet with no starter. dry yeasts are just as good as liquid.

I think the answer is "It depends." If you are brewing a common ale, then no you probably don't need liquid yeast. Face it, the ingredients of most beer are essentially the same. What distinguishes certain beers is the yeast. A saison made with Notty would not taste like a saison.

I'm surprised as every one of their kits that I purchased had a dry yeast option. SOME styles, however, require a specific yeast where there is no dry equivalent. Nottingham or Safale-05 are good general use dry yeasts.

I use dry yeast over liquid wherever it makes sense, it's just easier that way! I do however wash & save yeast to reuse.

Back