dry yeast pitch rate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
To start, I don't use dry yeast typically but want to use it more. I know I read something similar to my question on here but I can't find it, I brew 15 gallon batches and for this one will probably start with 16-17 gallons in the fermenter. Its going to be a new zealand pilsner and using 34/70 target OG is 1.054 When I put this in brewers friend pitch rate calculater if I use a 5L starter of 1.040 wort with 2 packs of 34/70 I am still underpitching... If I use 3 packs which would supposedly get me close based on the packet saying 1 pack per 20-30 liters that is still underpitching. I can do a 2l starter then step it up to a 5l starter but is that necessary based on what the packets reccomend. Should I just buy 3 packs and be done?

I would say if you're using a starter with dry yeast you're doing it wrong. I'm not saying you can't good results this way but one of the big reasons dry yeast exist is that we don't have to make starters... That's also not their intended purposes. Perhaps you prefer 34/70 over other liquid options, if thats the case then use as intended to get best results.

Pitch three packets into the fermenter and don't worry about it....

I haven't decided that part yet but I will likely start at the top of the recommended temp range, then hold it at 56f for 10 to 14 days then check gravity and if its done start dropping temp. I have not used this yeast before so any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

manufacturer knows their product best

https://fermentis.com/en/product/saflager-w-34-70/
Fermentis says 80-120 grams per hectoliter

17 gallons of wort = 0.64 hl

pitch size should be 51g on the low end (4 packets), up to 77g (6 packets) on the high end

This is why I bought a 500g brick of 34/70

Don't skimp on the yeast pitch, and you can get a great lager at room temperature

I'd recommend the German Lager Yeast (Cellarscience) from Morebeer. It's the same yeast as w34/70 but a bit cheaper and you get a little more in each pack. If you're cool fermenting then I would go 2 packs per 5 gallons of wort in your case. If you're going to be fermenting 60F or higher then 1 pack per 5 gallons

Well I wouldn't be opposed to that but I am gonna brew this on saturday and I always buy from my lhbs unless I can't. Nothing against morebeer, use them at times also. Thanks for the suggestion though, maybe I'll consider that for the next one.

Cheers!

I will likely start at the top of the recommended temp range, then hold it at 56f for 10 to 14 days then check gravity and if its done start dropping temp.
Not 100% sure 34/70 needs it, but most Lagers benefit from a diacetyl rest, especially when you start them out at a higher temp.

At the end of fermentation, when it slows down (3-5 points to go), raise the temp to 65-68F for a few days. Then cold crash.
https://byo.com/article/brewing-science-controlling-diacetyl/

Well I wouldn't be opposed to that but I am gonna brew this on saturday and I always buy from my lhbs unless I can't. Nothing against morebeer, use them at times also. Thanks for the suggestion though, maybe I'll consider that for the next one.

I have not quite figured out the CellarScience product. I saw info that the brand is owned by MoreFlavor (the parent of MoreBeer and MoreCoffee). But my local shop carries them and I see CellarScience listed for sale at many of the online vendors. I strongly suspect they are just Fermentis products with an extra 0.5g in each pack.

I have not quite figured out the CellarScience product. I saw info that the brand is owned by MoreFlavor (the parent of MoreBeer and MoreCoffee). But my local shop carries them and I see CellarScience listed for sale at many of the online vendors. I strongly suspect they are just Fermentis products with an extra 0.5g in each pack.
They may very well be packaged for them by Fermentis. Or they have their own (re-)packaging line.

What tells me it's w34/70

https://www.morebeer.com/products/cellarscience-german-dry-lager-yeast.html
The classic lager strain from Weihenstephan Germany that has been used for generations to produce clean, balanced lagers from pilsners to doppelbocks.

I just pitched a pack of that and a pack of 34/70 I had laying around into a Helles this past weekend. Pitched at 49F and stayed at 49F. Within 12 hours this thing was fermenting nicely! Now I did just keg up a Oktoberfest that was fermented with a 2 Liter pitch of 2124 at 49F. I will say the double packs of rehydrated dry yeast seemed to kick off a tad quicker.

Back