Dry yeast & Hot Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crum

Reaction score
I think I screwed up big time here. I got the wort already and was going to rehydrate some dry east from a kit of coopers. But when I rehydrated the yeast the water was almost at boiling temperature. I know that I have killed the yeast but wanted to ask here to make sure. This was all done last night so I think I am still good to pitch again. I have a vial of some irish ale yeast.
If I did not kill it and should wait it out please let me know. Thanks.

This will teach me for brewing half a sleep and a couple home brews under my belt.

FWIW, when I was talking to my brewshop on cooling wort, he mentioned that if he started late and had to hit the hay instead of wait for the temp to go down before pitching it wasn't a problem. He'd do it the next morning.

crum said:
I think I screwed up big time here. I got the wort already and was going to rehydrate some dry east from a kit of coopers. But when I rehydrated the yeast the water was almost at boiling temperature. I know that I have killed the yeast but wanted to ask here to make sure. This was all done last night so I think I am still good to pitch again. I have a vial of some irish ale yeast.
If I did not kill it and should wait it out please let me know. Thanks.

This will teach me for brewing half a sleep and a couple home brews under my belt.

If your brew was put into a sterilised container and kept covered you should be OK - If there is no visible fermentation by now then go ahead and re pitch with fresh yeast. Your brew should be fine.
If there are signs of fermentation then smell should tell you whether your original yeast has survived or whether you have an unwanted wild yeast at work. If it doesn't smell right you probably have a wild yeast and I'm afraid the brew is probably only fit to be thrown away.
Good luck, hope it turns out OK.

The wort smelled fine but there was still no activity tonight so I pitched the vial of yeast. It was in a carboy with a airlock so I don’t see any contamination happening. I pitched the yeast and mixed it up a bit, we will see tomorrow if the activities start.

crum said:
The wort smelled fine but there was still no activity tonight so I pitched the vial of yeast. It was in a carboy with a airlock so I don’t see any contamination happening. I pitched the yeast and mixed it up a bit, we will see tomorrow if the activities start.

Sounds good Crum. If your brew was put into a sterilised carboy and airlock it is extremely unlikely to have got an infection or umwanted yeast. As you say there is no visiible fermentation I would be 99% certain that your new yeast will start OK and that your brew will be fine. Be sure to let me know how it turns out.
Cheers, Buster.

Latest posts

Back