Dry yeast for big beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JR_Ewing

Reaction score
I'm planning a big beer now, an IIPA. Does anyone see any potential problems with rehydrating 2 dry yeast packages and pitching them? I can never seem to make time the day before to make a proper starter.

Too much yeast? Not enough? Brewer too fat and lazy?

Thanks

How big of a beer? Using MrMalty.com yeast calculator, for a 1.070 OG, it recommends 2.7 packages of dry yeast (the smaller 5 gram packages) or 1.2 packs of the 11.5 gram yeast packages. At 1.080 that jumps to 3 or 1.3. And that assumes fairly current yeast.

You could probably get there with 2 packs, but just might take a little longer to ferment.

I normally use two packs of US-05 (properly rehydrated) to ferment 5 gallon batches of 1.090-1.100. That's 23g, so 4-5 packs if you're using 5g packs.

I just made an all grain Indian brown ale, used one 11.5g packet of notty. Went from 1.072 to 1.012 in a week! I did mash at 150 though...

2 packs (11 grams each, probably US-05) should work fine on your IIPA, so long as you properly rehydrate to gain better cell survival during intro to the wort.

I'm assuming your OG is around 1.100 or thereabouts.

Back