Dry vs Liquid Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrey

Reaction score
Say I have two identical kits for Pale Ale which is a combo of DME, LME and steeping grains. If I used the same yeast in dry form compared to liquid form, will there be an appreciable difference?

Dry is convenient and for the most part, stable. Liquid is more expensive, may do better from a starter (adds expense) plus shipping can be an issue as well.

All these factors aside, if we were served a beer crafted with dry yeast, and the same beer with liquid yeast (same strain), is there enough of a difference to tell which is which?

you'll likely see no difference between something like US05 vs 1056/001... most times liquid is only superior is when there is not a dry equivalent that is close enough. I use both liquid and dry.

Many before us have done a triangle test and have determined there is a difference in taste. There are videos and articles on the internet that document the experiments (some examples below).

Many think liquid yeast is superior to dry yeast. I disagree. But that's the great thing about this hobby: you can brew the beer you like while I brew the beer I like.

My recommendation: do your own experiment and see if the cost and trouble of liquid yeast are worth it to you.

http://www.saltcitybrewsupply.com/store/Blog/Which_Yeast/

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26295

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsCEuEnnv9E[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zueif7ZwkEY[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V420fONRCPQ[/ame]

Yes, the beauty of home brewing is to perfect a taste that WE like in our own beer, not a taste we are mandated to like because its what is available.

I did a bit of homebrew years ago and had ok results. Getting back into it, I find the ingredients (and equipment) are now far superior and quite sophisticated in comparison.

Included in that new and more sophisticated list of ingredients is yeast. I noted a huge difference then and now in yeast quality. I have yet to pitch a liquid yeast mainly due to the fact I have been so pleased with the dry I used.

After I experiment and get my brewing feet back on the ground, I'll certainly try various yeasts knowing my selection of liquid strains is more plentiful than dry. This advanced yeast selection is my fine tuning tool.

For a pale ale, like what you're making, dry yeast is totally fine. US-05 is the same as 001/1056, and is much more convenient. I use liquid when I'm brewing a big beer, when I'm brewing a lager, or if I'm making a yeast-focused beer (Hefes, Belgians, etc.)

For a pale ale, like what you're making, dry yeast is totally fine. US-05 is the same as 001/1056, and is much more convenient. I use liquid when I'm brewing a big beer, when I'm brewing a lager, or if I'm making a yeast-focused beer (Hefes, Belgians, etc.)

Why when brewing big beers? I thought the dry packets actually had more cells?

As we speak I have a Hefe (currently in secondary fermentation) in which I pitched a packet of dry yeast designed to be used with this wheat beer kit. I suppose it will turn out fine, but according to what I've read, liquid may be a bit superior in this specific application. I'm learning that in some beers it frankly doesn't matter, but when the yeast imparts flavors as in this Hefe, it begins to be more important.

Generally, when a comparable dry yeast is available, it can be used with equal results for it's intended purpose.

However, there are most liquid yeasts available for different styles, so for those applications it's advised to use the liquid yeast to get the expected flavor profile.

I use US-05, S-04, and Safale yeasts often. When I want authentic Wit, Saison, Hefe, Belgian Strong, etc. I use Liquid yeast.

They come out with new dry yeast sometimes, but I think the reason you don't see as many dry variations as liquid is because some yeast don't dry as well, and either aren't viable, or they don't provide the same flavor profile as their liquid version.

Or maybe the dry yeast companies are simply not interested in trying to provide dry versions of those yeasts. Who knows?

I just bought a Kolsch kit that supplies grains, DME, LME and a yeast dry pack. HOWEVER, the directions state they recommend using a liquid yeast instead of the dry pack.

I understand, due to shelf life and storage they cannot supply liquid yeast in their kit. So using liquid yeast is a new project for me. I plan to visit my LHBS next week to buy equipment and products to cultivate a liquid yeast starter.

I need a flask, DME, yeast nutrients, airlock and stopper to start. Do I need to add hops to the starter as I have read????

Most importantly, what yeast do I need for this Kolsch???

THANKS to all!!!

Do not add hops to your starter. Once your starter has finished, move it into the fridge to "cold crash" it for a couple of days before brew day. Then, when it's time to pitch the yeast, decant (i.e.,pour out) the dark liquid from the starter, leaving just enough to swirl up the yeast from the bottom and pour them into the main batch.

As for yeast, I'd use Wyeast German Ale 1007, or 2565 Kolsch, whichever they had. If they had both, I'd buy whichever was fresher.

Kölsch yeast is one of those that is really only available in liquid form. There are a couple different available, but as Kombat says, get the fresher (more viable yeast cells) as they aren't really that different.

You could skip the starter if you wanted to simply buy a second vial of yeast to save time and effort. You *could* also get a flask and stuff, but you could also use a mason jar and just give it a swirl a few times a day.

Of course the best option is to build or buy a stirplate if you REALLY wanted to grow a big starter! It's not hard or expensive to build one, but you may want to brew before then.

Hops are for the boil. Adding hops to the starter *might* help to reduce foaming when you boil it, but I am sure it's not going to help nearly enough, and it will definitely not help the yeast reproduce. Hops contain resins that can bind to the yeast cells and limit their reproduction (So they say.)

And as Kombat says, after the yeast have used up the starter (krausen has gone down), chill the starter in the fridge until brew day, then let it warm up, pour off the excess beer, add a little chilled wort from your batch, swirl it up and pitch.

Back