Dry Stout tastes light bodied/slightly acidic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Threetall

Reaction score
So I decided to try brewing a dry stout because I had a vial of White Labs Irish Ale yeast. The beer currently right now tastes like the pH may be low, due to the acidity. I fermented it for 10 days (on the warm 70+F side of things) and then it has been in the keg for 2 weeks, so I am wondering if it may need time to condition? Could it be the carbonation level?

The other thought would be that the mash pH was way too low, however I decided to plug my grain bill and water profile (which is very soft, almost like a blank slate) into Bru'n Water it shows that my grain bill + untreated water would not make my mash pH that low.
I batch sparge and I added 4 grams of gypsum and 6 grams of baking soda into the mash for a 6 gallon batch.

For a 6 gallon batch:

7 lbs Pilsner
4 lbs Flaked Barley
1 lb Roasted Barley
.5 lb Rice Hulls
1.0 oz Northern Brewer @ 60 minutes

I mashed at 150 for 60 minutes and did a 90 minute boil due to the pilsner malt.
OG was 1.050 with FG 1.011.
I sanitize clean my equipment pretty thoroughly and the only other organism I brew with is brett, so I really don't think it's a Lacto infection. Does anyone have any ideas? This is my first time brewing the style, so maybe the flavor profile I got is what I should have expected with the grain bill,etc?

Let it sit in the keg for another 6 weeks then try it.

No they don't Ive got mine bottled in 3 weeks usually. But they hit their stride after a month or so after bottling. This is assuming you have a typical dry stout OG (like around 1.050)

it could be a mix of the roasted grains and your water profile that led to the astringent flavor. Hope fully itll fade out with time

That makes sense. It's just hard to tell whether it's acidic or astringent that I am tasting. I've never made a dry stout, so hard for me to tell. The only roasty beers I have done have been big and malty, and have had no issues with those flavorwise.

Most of the stouts I've brewed are bigger and full of oatmeal and cocoa and whatnot (and often I'm waiting longer because they are stronger). I too was surprised at the harshness of my dry stout when I brewed it for a competition. It's smoothed out quite a bit now.

Just an update, the acidic /astringent twang has faded. Give your Dry Stouts time to condition longer than the normal 4-5% Abv ale.

Nice...I find the stouts always take a bit longer to settle into their groove

Back