Dry stout fermentation?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colizza

Reaction score
Hey, brewed last thursday a dry stout (1.050). And was wondering how much time should i ferment it. Fermentation started 7 hrs after pitching. So do i wait until im happy with my final gravity (below 1.010) and rack to secondary or do i bottle directly? If secondary fermentation is needed, how much time? The yeast used is white labs dry english ale (i believe it is the WLP007)

Wait 10 days. Check gravity. Check again in 3-4 days. If it's the same, it's ready to go to the bottling bucket for priming.

No secondary needed for most beers, especially this style.

You always want to ferment the beer until it is done, whether that is 10 days or 3 weeks. Once you pitch the yeast they are in control and they work on their schedule, not yours. Since they have no eyes they don't pay attention to the calendar.

Use your hydrometer to tell when they are done. If the gravity is at 1.010 at 10 days it probably is done but if it is the same on day 14, then you know the yeast is finished and you can bottle it. It doesn't hurt to go longer as that allows more yeast to settle out and the beer to begin maturing. That beer could set in the primary fermenter for 4 months or more without going bad.

The best thing to do, but also the hardest, is to simply forget about the fermenting beer for two weeks. Even if it might finish in 7 days, leave it alone for at least14 days.

There's no harm in a beer sitting an extra week or two in the fermenter. ive actually been told it's better for the beer, giving it time to clean up after itself.

Back