Dry run, configuration and tuning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyclingpole

Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm getting ready to do my first batch (all grain) next weekend. I've assembled a pretty good all grain system (3 tier gravity flow, with 50ft immersion chiller and 66ft pre-chiller) and besides for few small items I'm about 98% ready to go right now. What I wanted to do is do a "dry run" to make sure I have all the bases covered. Here is my approach; I'm making a list of steps to follow during brewing so I don't scramble looking for information during brewing. Does anyone follow such a list? I realize over time it probably comes naturally to all of you but how did you get started?

I will be brewing a SMASH. I picked up 55 pounds of Maris Otter and have 10 different whole hops to choose from. I have 4 glass carboys for fermenting and plan on having 4 batches brewed my first weekend, I guess this will be a kind of a crash course for me!

Right now I'm trying to configure BeerSmith so it matches my system configuration but I don't know alot of the values that should be entered in the Equipment section. I can go with the "default" or "recommended" ones but how much will inaccuracies in the default values impact my brews? Which one of the values is most critical to the final outcome? Is there a way to do a "dry run" maybe with some low-grade or cheap grain substitute to get all the measurements done?

Okay so that is alot of question scattered in one message! :confused:

thank you all!
Jake

I've never altered anything in BeerSmith for my equipment, and my temps and volumes have always come out fine.

As for your timing, BeerSmith has a Brew Sheet that you can print, I think under the 'View' menu, that will list all the steps that need to happen and at what time, I've never used it, but I think this is what you're looking for.

Back