Dry Rub Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BNVince

Reaction score
I'm looking at all these great BBQ recipes and I'm wondering what everybody's dry rub recipes look like. I know some of you use commercial dry rubs but I also know some of you make your own.

If it's not a closely guarded family secret, what's in your dry rub?

I'd say it depends what your cooking. My swmbo can throw together a dry rub for just about anything in a couple of minutes. Kosher salt is probably the key to most of them. Garlic powder , chili powder , cumin , onion powder. It's also a matter of your taste. Try some different stuff and you'll hit on something you like. Good luck

Here you go!

EdWort's Spicy Brisket Rub

4 Tablespoons Kosher Salt
4 Tablespoons Paprika
1 Tablespoon ground black pepper
4 Tablespoons Turbinado Sugar
1 Tablespoon McCormick's Ground Chipotle Pepper
1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
1/2 teaspoon Ground Cumin
1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 teaspoon Onion Powder

1/2 Cup Turbinado Sugar (sugar in the raw)
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
2 T Unsweetened Cocoa
2 Cup Kosher Salt
2 T Hickory Smoke Salt
4 T Chipotle Chili Powder
4 T Ancho Chili Powder
4 T Sweet Smoked Paprika
4 T Cumin
4 T Garlic Powder
4 T Onion Powder
2 T Jamaican Allspice
1 T Cayenne Pepper
1 T Black Pepper freshly ground (important)
1 T Dry Mustard

I get all my spices fresh at The Spice House I think fresh ground spices make a big difference over grocery store spices that have been sitting on the shelves for who knows how long

Here's mine:

Naked Spur BBQ Dry Rub

Ingredients:
1 ¼ cup - Packed Dark Brown Sugar
¼ cup Course Salt (Kosher or Sea)
½ cup Paprika
2 tbsp - Gebhardt Chili Powder
3 tbsp - Dried Parsley
2 tbsp - Dried Basil
2 tbsp - Dried Oregano
2 tbsp - Dried Thyme
2 tbsp - Dried Onion Flakes
1 ½ tbsp - Lemon Pepper
1 tbsp - Garlic Powder
1 tsp - Ground Allspice
1 tsp - Ground Cinnamon

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir or whisk to mix. Transfer to a large jar, cover and store away from heat and light. The rub will keep for several months.

I've basically gone off of the Alton Brown 8+3+1+1 method with 8 parts brown sugar, 3 parts kosher salt, 1 part chili powder, and 1 part whatever the hell else you want. It's pretty good but I think I can do better. I think maybe taking out some of the brown sugar and using sugar in the raw would be interesting. Plus I love the idea of using unsweetened cacao.

I have used a mix of brown and raw sugar and it works good, the sugar in the raw works better if you hit it witht he food processor first to make the pieces smaller.
If you use too much sugar you end up with lots of black meat on the longer smokes.

heres one i found and modified slightly to reduce the amount of salt. i have used this on turkey, chicken and ribs all with a great tasting finish. i usually cover with some tabasco chipotle and honey sauce that i mix together in the last stage of either grilling or baking.

1/2 c dark brown sugar
1/2 c paprika
1/3 c garlic powder
2 T onion powder
2 T chili powder
1 T black pepper
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 1/2 tsp white pepper
1 tsp cumin

I think the key is to notice the commonalities, ie. salt, sugars, garlic, onion, etc. and then tweek it to your liking. Some of those dried smoked peppers in a few of the above sound killer!!!

Ok thanks guys! I'm going to have to try the Turbinado Sugar in the next rub that i make!
I usually make enough rub for a few uses and store it in empty spice bottles for future/quick use... I do the same when i make up Taco seasoning... makes quick meals easy!

Back