Dry Irish Stout-carbombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

washdcbrewer

Reaction score
Never brewed an Irish Stout before. And I'd like to brew one in time for St. Patty's day. I'd also like to be able use a few of them for a car bomb or two. I know the curdling of the beer has something to do with the acidity.

Can anyone provide me any information or recommendations for recipes for this. I was thinking about giving the northern brewers Dry Irish Stout Extract Kit a run at it. Anyone know if this would/if they've had success with the kit before.

Thanks and GO RED SOX!!!

I brewed that exact extract kit before. I think it was the second or third brew I ever did. For not knowing what the hell I was really doing it came out really well.

Sorry nothing really to add except for correct you on St Pattys day, there is no such thing. It is St Patricks Day or if you really have to shorten it, its St Paddys day.

Sorry but it really boils my p**s when I see that!

Carbombs curdle b/c of the reaction between Jameson and Baileys.

NB Dry Irish Stout would be a good kit for that.

I've made the NB Dry Irish Stout kit a couple of times, also to serve around St. Pat's Day. It is a pretty easy brew, and has turned out pretty well both times.

Sorry nothing really to add except for correct you on St Pattys day, there is no such thing. It is St Patricks Day or if you really have to shorten it, its St Paddys day.

Sorry but it really boils my p**s when I see that!

Patty makes sense to me. There's no D in Patrick after all.

Carbombs curdle without the Jamesons too.

Patty makes sense to me. There's no D in Patrick after all.

Carbombs curdle without the Jamesons too.

There is the the Irish version of Patrick (Padraic or Pádraig) ;)

There is no i in James but yet people shorten James to Jim!

Anyway dont want to get compeltely off-topic

Ok, so since we got the spelling of st paddy's day straightened out are we for sure that it's not the stout that causes the curdling of an Irish car bomb?

The carbombs curdle because of the acidity of the beer. Any beer will cause it to curdle, it doesn't matter if it is a Guinness or a homebrew Irish Dry. I brewed an Irish Dry Stout similar to the kit you are talking about and did carbombs with it. Worked fine. Just remember to drink them fast!

I brewed that kit a while back. Threw some cacao nibs in the secondary. It turned out awesome. Never tried it for car bombs though...

Back