dry ice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chia

Reaction score
sorry if this has been asked, did not know where to search it. what would happen if you added dry ice to your wort to cool it off before pitching the yeast? there should be no bacteria and it should cool quickly. let me know. Thanks, Chia

Dry ice wouldnt cool the water down very efficiently. Most of it would just sublime out of the water without cooling it down. It would only work if you added a TON of it...and then you don't really know what trace materials are trapped in the dry ice that would also be getting into your beer.

I use dry ice all the time at work... go buy a piece and stick it in a bucket and let it sublime away. Take a look at the junk left behind, odds are you'll know why no one uses it to cool wort.

Why not just use regular ice?

It's something like 8lbs of ice = 1 gallon of water. Pour the wert on top of some ice, you can add a little more to get your total bucket to 5 gallons. It cools my wert down to a good temp in no more than 15 minutes.

It's something like 8lbs of ice = 1 gallon of water. Pour the wert on top of some ice, you can add a little more to get your total bucket to 5 gallons. It cools my wert down to a good temp in no more than 15 minutes.

Was the water boiled before it was ice? I would be a little leary of contamination.

Yea Id say a solid 9 out of 10 bags of ice I buy have holes in the bag with no telling what is in the ice, let alone the mold that grows in the freezers.

I use ice all the time. But as an ice bath. Cold water in sink, drip in kettle with wert. After it warms, drain, refill and add ice and the kettle. Can't wait to finish my build and use my plate chiller

I guess it depends where you live. All the ice I purchase is RO. I also use RO water anyways to brew period cause the water where I live blows. Obviously I check for for tears before I purchase. A friend of mine who has been home brewing for years told me of this technique. His homebrew is incredible. Mine has not been bad due to ice.

Was the water boiled before it was ice? I would be a little leary of contamination.

I've done over 20 batches by adding ice to make up volume. None of the ice was boiled before it was frozen. I've never gotten an infection. Keep in mind this is not store bought ice, but ice I've made from filtered tap water.

Back