Dry Hops for a Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jrm1443

Reaction score
I am using a kit to brew a backyard Pilsner. It contains 2 oz of Perle hops and 1 oz of Saaz hops. I have made several other types of beer kits that have come out very good after adding some hops after fermentation. I have an ounce of centennial hops I was thinking of adding at the one week mark. Will that be a good addition to this type of beer? Any other suggestions? Or should I just continue to follow the recipie?

More Saaz, or some Hallertauer Mittelfruh if you want a little more German flavor.

So would I add say 1 oz of Saaz after a week in primary? Or maybe more? I don't normally do a secondary fermentation but my last batch was a little cloudy so I think I will rack it from the primary to the 1 oz of Saaz in a carboy after one week in primary. I also plan on using a paint strainer bag when I move it to the bottling bucket.

Centennial would be good, but not really in the "classic" Pilsner taste. Use the Saaz, that's very traditional.

Be careful to not oxidize your beer when using that paint-strainer bag. You don't want your beer turning into something that tastes of wet cardboard.

Centennial would be good, but not really in the "classic" Pilsner taste. Use the Saaz, that's very traditional.

Be careful to not oxidize your beer when using that paint-strainer bag. You don't want your beer turning into something that tastes of wet cardboard.

So far the paint strainer bags have worked well. I initially thought I would strain the beer into the bag as it went from the primary to the secondary. However someone on this forum pointed out that the bag should be on the end of the racking cane that is placed into the primary. So now I rinse the bag in Star San and place it over the end of the racking cane and then place it into the primary to rack into the carboy. So far no off flavors.

I am going to rack it onto 1 oz of Saaz into a secondary carboy this weekend. It appears that the active fermentation has all but stopped based on the airlock. I brewed this six days ago but lost some of the liquid yeast when it kind of exploded when I opened it. I never used liquid yeast before and had not heard of this apparently common occurrence. In any event, it appears that enough yeast lived to start the fermentation it but won't know how effective it was until I take a hydrometer reading.

The brew I am working on is a kit from Adventures in Home brewing called Backyard Pilsner and has been reviewed to taste like that big beer from St Louis so I guess it is an American Pilsner. I know what's the point right? But I was looking for something that my wife might like as my taste runs more towards a hoppy IPA like Bells two hearted ale clone or Sierra Nevada.

Thanks for the advice.

Latest posts

Back