Dry hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABI Brewery

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Any thoughts on the length of the dry hop, I am just wondering because I have gotten very busy and I have two 5 gal fermenters with dry hops that are on day 8 of a dry hop and likely wont get it off of the hops until sat, so dumb question i only wanted to go about 5 days but is almost 2 weeks bad?

tap: good beer? (IPA)
ferm 1: version 2 (IIPA)
ferm 2: midnight run (american pale ale)

It's really personal preference. You will get different characteristics for sure but you may like them. Some people like longer dry hops, some like shorter. I personally do 7 day dry hops and I feel I have gotten good results with that. Will it kill the beer to wait until saturday? No, but you MAY get some vegetal flavors. Personally, I think you'll be fine.

I do 4 day dry hops, but do agree with the earlier reply that it is a personal preference. If you leave them in too long (whatever too long actually is?) you can get veggie type flavors. It’ll still be beer though! Mmmmm....beer!

Many of the small molecules enter the beer within 24 hours, and 3 days is generally regarded as long enough to get the benefit of dry-hopping, so anything much longer than that is unnecessary. So two weeks isn't ideal, but only you can say if it's "bad". The dangers of grassy/vegetal off-flavours are probably overstated though, certainly if you're using pellets.

Thanks guys, I actually got busy and didnt get to it until last tuesday, but even with over two weeks its still worked out fine, I did a ten gallon batch on my new system and split into two fermenters, one i dry hopped with pellets and the other whole leaf, and I noticed that the whole leaf has just a little bit of a lighter hop character to it, but still very good

Thanks guys, I actually got busy and didnt get to it until last tuesday, but even with over two weeks its still worked out fine, I did a ten gallon batch on my new system and split into two fermenters, one i dry hopped with pellets and the other whole leaf, and I noticed that the whole leaf has just a little bit of a lighter hop character to it, but still very good
I always use whole leaf due to lack of ability to cold crash or filter, how much more hoppy is the pellet one?

Next time, you can still slow the process down by chilling the beer. I usually dryhop after coldcrushing, 5-7 days at 2°C.
Cheers from Italy! :mug:
Piteko

Next time, you can still slow the process down by chilling the beer. I usually dryhop after coldcrushing, 5-7 days at 2°C.
Cheers from Italy! :mug:
Piteko

I was trying to cold crash but the room i have for that was only to about 50 degrees F. I just use an old cellar in my basement that doenst get heat in winter and gets down to about 35 degrees F. but the spring was warmer and I didnt get the cold crash i wanted but it still turned out nice and clear. I am wanting to make a fermentation chamber just havent got around to it yet..............soon though..............cheers

Back