Dry hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SailorJerry

Reaction score
So, do I do this in the primary or do I have to secondary to dry hop?
I'm sure i don't have to, but is it recommended? Doing the Dead Ringer IPA clone which recommends a secondary (which would probably help clear the beer up?), just curious what everyone's thoughts were on it.

I never use a secondary, just dry hop in the primary. I just started experimenting with dry hopping in the keg and absolutely love it! My CDA tasted great! I'll probably just do this from now on, just ordered a couple of dry hop bags from Wilser along with my BIAB order

Most kit instructions call for secondary. It's been known for some time that on the homebrew scale it isn't necessary except in a few particular instances which do not include dry hopping but nobody takes time to rewrite the instruction. Why? Maybe because the same people sell carboys? Maybe it is because they already have a million copies made up and don't want to discard them?

So, I can just pop the lid off and dump my last oz of hops in? Do I need to stir it or just throw them in and seal the lid back up?

NEVER STIR except at the beginning

ever, after the first fermentation, you do not want to add any oxygen to your beer, it will ruin it, making it taste like paper.

just toss them on top, close it back up, bottle 3-5 days later.

Back