Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taytay1023

Reaction score
Hi there - I have an IPA that is done fermenting and was thinking of dry hopping it. I brewed from a kit and it contained cascade and citra hops. Could I add a different type of hop for the dry hopping? Or should I not do dry hopping since there are 2 types of hops in it now? Also, was going to put in a secondary, but do I really need to?

I am a total novice with this stuff - thanks guys!

Well if you are dry hopping (yes! do it!), it is usually recommended to rack to secondary, THEN add the dry hop.
That's what I always do.

Well if you are dry hopping (yes! do it!), it is usually recommended to rack to secondary, THEN add the dry hop.
That's what I always do.

not to get into a secondary vs. no secondary debate (there's plenty of that on here), but i think it's become pretty common to dry hop in primary, as it isn't worth the risk of oxidation by the unnecessary step of transferring to a secondary vessel

If you don't dry hop it, then it's a stretch to call it an IPA, so definitely dry hop it. You can absolutely use a different hop than whatever you used in the boil, but it might be nice to use Citra as the dry hop so that you can get an idea of what Citra really tastes like/smells like/does to a beer(you won't be disappointed).

As others have said, go for it and don't rack it over to a secondary. I would suggest staying with Citra hops. They are one of my favorites and I've already blown through a pound of them this year and just bought another pound. Citra is a hop I will always try to keep on hand!

Congrats! Cheers! Brew ON!!!! :mug:

Citra is a great dry hop, cascade too. IPA's almost always need to be dry hopped. For 5 gallons I'd consider adding 2-4 oz of dry hops for around 7 days.

Thanks Everyone! I added 2 oz of Centennial and 1 oz of Citra. I've had it dryhopping for 4 days and going to bottle today! Wish me luck! :)

I just dry hop into the primary bucket but I use a fine mesh hop bag. I don't ever secondary. For me it just adds an extra step and does nothing but allows more cleanup. No clearer beer either.

But hey if you're bored you could rack to a secondary next time!

Back