Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SippinSudz

Reaction score
Hey all,

Looking to dry hop for the first time. I've stuck to canned kits with added malt, extracts, coffee beans etc... But I have zero knowledge of hops!

I currently have a Coopers Real Ale fermenting at 19°C and plan to dry hop with an unknown hop for 3-5 days.

Flavour isn't the biggest issue, as most of these kits I make with malt are drinkable, it's the Aroma that I don't have!

Chinook? Cascades? Is this gonna be all about experimenting to find what I like?

Do hops for a porter work for an Ale? Etc

My plan was to start of east with 1 to 1.5oz each of cascade and Chinook for 3-5 days.

That a safe place to start?

Dry hopping is a great way to get aroma in a beer. Have some fun. Don't dry hop for too long. I think you are on the right track.

Cheers
Ja

Went for 2.5 of Cascades.
Gonna dry hop for 4-5 days and bottle.

I figured it should be good to get an idea of what these hops offer.

2.5oz cascades has been in there for 4 days now.

I just dumped them in and left it alone. Didn't stir it, or weigh them down in a bag. They're all floating on top it seems.

Was this the right choice? Or would a bag + some stainless steel marbles or something been better?

Tossing them in on top is just fine. As your siphoning out your beer, the stopper at the bottom of the siphon will prevent them from being sucked up as the top floating particles meet the trub at the bottom of your vessel.

2.5oz cascades has been in there for 4 days now.

I just dumped them in and left it alone. Didn't stir it, or weigh them down in a bag. They're all floating on top it seems.

Was this the right choice? Or would a bag + some stainless steel marbles or something been better?

You're totally fine - that's what I always do! You'll definitely still get that great aroma.

7 days in the bottle. Sampled one. Had to have another. Carbonation is coming along nicely. Cascade aroma is there big time with an added bitterness+cascade flavor.

I'm thinking it will all come together smoothly in 3-4 weeks.

Back