Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garmoni

Reaction score
Getting ready to brew my first IPA and have a question on dry hoping. From what I have read it sounds like after primary fermentation you rack off the dead yeast and then add the hop pellets. I'm guessing that they sink to the bottom and then sit there during the dry hop period. After the dry hop period is over do you need to rack again to get the beer off the hops? Is there anything else you need to do?

Secondaries are no longer necessary nor advocated for, although you can certainly use one if you want.

If you are worried about hops in the wort/beer or trub, use a muslin sack/sock. Hops usually float (at first) and sick over time, but with a hop-sack, you might want to weight it down with some stainless steel ball bearings or some such other device that can be sterilised and won't react with the beer, just to keep the hop-sack off the top of the wort (it will do more good if it stays submerged).

When I dry hop, usually the hop pellets come apart and float across the top of the beer like a green carpet, then begin to drop to the bottom. When you dry hop, you will lose some beer as it is soaked up into the hop sludge. If you're bottling, I always rack to a bottling bucket, leaving as much hop debris behind.

As the others have said, there is no need to secondary. Once your beer has reached FG put the dry hops into a muslin bag with something heavy in there to keep it towards the bottom and you're good to go!

:mug:

I agree with skipping the secondary. I wait to hit a consistent FG, then toss the pellets into primary (careful not to create splashing) and let them go to work for about 5 days. The pellets break apart and sit on the surface for the most apart. After about 2-3 days I very gently rock my carboy to let the hop sludge break up a little from the surface and start settling out. After about 5 days (7 max) I move my carboy to my garage fridge to cold crash for a few days, which settles everything else out...then rack to bottling bucket and bottle.

I agree with skipping the secondary. I wait to hit a consistent FG, then toss the pellets into primary (careful not to create splashing) and let them go to work for about 5 days. The pellets break apart and sit on the surface for the most apart. After about 2-3 days I very gently rock my carboy to let the hop sludge break up a little from the surface and start settling out. After about 5 days (7 max) I move my carboy to my garage fridge to cold crash for a few days, which settles everything else out...then rack to bottling bucket and bottle.

Very helpful. Thanks.

Just dump them in the primary for 5 to 7 days, cold crash 24 hours before bottling, then siphon to your bottling container without using a mesh bag.

The pellets will just be down solid with the yeast cake

A few helpful posts and only one guy gets thanked?

:D

Glad I don't do things just for a possible reward...

;)

Back