Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I let my hops swim, especially when being dry hopped in a carboy as trying to get that swollen bag of hops out is a royal PITA if using whole leaf.

If you are concerned about filtering out the debris when racking to bottle just wrap the hop bag around your siphon, that's what I do and I've never had a problem keeping my beer clear.

Cheers!

If I use pellets, I just toss them in...if I use leaf hops, I bag them. Also, if I know I'm using leaf hops, I'll secondary in a bucket, so getting the bag out isn't an issue.

I am going to be dry hopping for the first time soon. I was planning on throwing them in without a bag for the ease of removal reasons already stated. I have a large mesh straining bag though. Would there be any negative consequence to lining the bottling bucket with that to strain out the gunk when siphoning? I would, of course, sanitize it first.

jkendrick said:
I am going to be dry hopping for the first time soon. I was planning on throwing them in without a bag for the ease of removal reasons already stated. I have a large mesh straining bag though. Would there be any negative consequence to lining the bottling bucket with that to strain out the gunk when siphoning? I would, of course, sanitize it first.

Yes because there is the potential of aerating the beer and that would be bad, very very bad

IXVolt said:
As long as it doesn't aerate the beer, I wouldn't think there would be any problems with that.

Yeah that would be my main concern. I assume that it wouldn't as it is big enough to rest on the bottom of the bucket.

Duboman, didn't see your post before mine. I dont think it would agitate it much more. Do you think he mesh itself could cause problems?

First time I ever tried dry hopping, I tried putting a stocking over the end of my auto-siphon, and I had a terrible time racking the beer. It ended up being terribly oxidized. Ever since, I just throw whole leaf hops straight into the Better Bottle, let them float, and rack from underneath. Easy to clean, and effective.

dcott said:
First time I ever tried dry hopping, I tried putting a stocking over the end of my auto-siphon, and I had a terrible time racking the beer. It ended up being terribly oxidized. Ever since, I just throw whole leaf hops straight into the Better Bottle, let them float, and rack from underneath. Easy to clean, and effective.

Thanks guys. I won't risk it!

jkendrick said:
Yeah that would be my main concern. I assume that it wouldn't as it is big enough to rest on the bottom of the bucket.

Duboman, didn't see your post before mine. I dont think it would agitate it much more. Do you think he mesh itself could cause problems?

My concern is even if the mesh went all the way to the bottom and you then racked the beer as you pull the mesh sack out the beer will drain out and splash as it comes through=aeration.

If the sack stays on the top with a sag and the beer does through and splashes=aeration

I rack with a hop bag at he end of my manual siphon and it works fine, I've used pellet and whole leaf and have never picked a hop out of my beers or had siphon issues or oxidized beer:mug:

Just did it this way. Very easy and effective

image-1670368862.jpg

image-137441395.jpg

image-3059587964.jpg

pfgonzo said:
Dunked that bag in sanitizer beforehand I assume?

Yes. StarSan on everything and CO2 purge on the keg. Can't wait to try it. It was a 10 gallon batch and five of it got the dry hops.

Back