dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done it with good results, but I without brewing the same batch and using the same hops, I can't say it would make a difference or not. Some will say you may end up with an off taste. I would do it for the last 7 maybe 10 days, but I would say you'll be ok if you so choose 14 days. Sometimes the less variables you encounter the better.

Dogfish Head dry hops their 120 min IPA for an entire month. Your probably not brewing a 19% abv beer but the point is... if they are pushing it that far I cant see a less amount of time being any problem. Just my 2 cents though.

Well ok I think I shouldnt have a problem. Got my chinook ipa dry hopping for 14 days. Should be good. I would say I could take them out but I hate screwing with it anymore then I have to. More chance for infection. Unless I could? Any thoughts ?

Well ok I think I shouldnt have a problem. Got my chinook ipa dry hopping for 14 days. Should be good. I would say I could take them out but I hate screwing with it anymore then I have to. More chance for infection. Unless I could? Any thoughts ?

I'd just let ride, you'll be fine, my 14 Day dry hopped hop head DIPA was tasty!

william2010 said:
It's not bad to dry hop for the entire two weeks of secondary right?

You can always take a sample at 7 days and see where it's at and then decide. There really is no rule for time. Different hops will do different things so I always sample at 5 days and then either decide to go longer or bottle depending what I get in my sample taste, it's all about what you like :)

At 14 days, you won't get "grassy" flavors. But I've noticed that the hops "pop" more when I dryhop for 3-5 days so lately I've been adding the dryhops about 5 days before packaging. I've gone as short as 3 days (good results) and as long as 7 days (also good results) in the last year or two, and I have been very happy with the results.

You can experiment as see which you like best. Either way, the beer will still be very good.

I dry hop in the keg and I leave them in the until I kick the keg - almost 2 months sometimes. While I've tasted grassy flavors in commercial beers, I've never noticed it in mine.

I dry hop in the keg and I leave them in the until I kick the keg - almost 2 months sometimes. While I've tasted grassy flavors in commercial beers, I've never noticed it in mine.

Oh, that's another thing! I do that often, too.

But when I dryhop in the keg, and leave it the whole time, it's at fridge temps. It seems like dryhopping at fridge temperatures doesn't ever seem to have that "grassy" flavor like dryhopping at room temperature can if left for too long.

Temperature plays a big role in the amount of aroma you get from dryhopping! I've noticed a difference in flavor, too, because of it. An IPA dryhopped in the keg is awesome, but it's also awesome dryhopped at room temperature for 5 days before kegging also. It just seems like they have slightly different qualities. Sometimes I do both!

I've noticed a difference in flavor, too, because of it. An IPA dryhopped in the keg is awesome, but it's also awesome dryhopped at room temperature for 5 days before kegging also. It just seems like they have slightly different qualities. Sometimes I do both!

i might have to do half of my dry hopping at room temp and half in the keg next time. best of both worlds!

i like to dry hop in the keg mostly.

Just tried my ipa that I have had bottled for two weeks. My in law who I was brewing with had put a lot of hops in for dry hopping. We left it in there for the full two weeks. It taste very grassy. Not a super bad taste and to be honest it isn't a bad beer. But the only issue I had was carbonation I don't know if it was the dextrose or if we didn't have enough. I have used sucrose and had great results. But this stuff was not super flat but you could tell. Think it will carb anymore? I hope. But as for hops I think we put in way way to many. Any feedback or criticism very helpful.

william2010 said:
Just tried my ipa that I have had bottled for two weeks. My in law who I was brewing with had put a lot of hops in for dry hopping. We left it in there for the full two weeks. It taste very grassy. Not a super bad taste and to be honest it isn't a bad beer. But the only issue I had was carbonation I don't know if it was the dextrose or if we didn't have enough. I have used sucrose and had great results. But this stuff was not super flat but you could tell. Think it will carb anymore? I hope. But as for hops I think we put in way way to many. Any feedback or criticism very helpful.

And also I forgot to mention it doesn't have any head at all. I guess kinda but not really. Also not very clear either but that could also be from all the hops .

Yea. give it another week or so around 70f...Then make sure to give em at least 2 days in the fridge. It really helps the beer absorb the co2. How much hops is too much in your case?

I will be using 4 oz for dry hopping with my next batch, 2 oz for the first 6-7 days of secondary then throw another 2 oz in 3 days before bottling. In fact, if I could come up with a design before bottling. I would create a "Randall the enamel" system to gravity feed the beer through as it fills the bottles... No amounts of hops are too much I say haha.

Latest posts

Back