Dry hopping with wyeast 1318

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
I'll be trying my first attempt with this yeast on an IPA and seeing as how it's such a true top cropping yeast does this effect dry hopping at all? By that will the pellet break up get caught in all the yeast at the surface thereby diminishing the effects? Is it best to break up the yeast cake on the top and let it settle before dry hopping? This may be the road I take as I like to dry hop towards the end of active fermentation and then add a second dry hop a few days later. Looking forward to trying this yeast.

I usually swirl the fermenter to sink the pellets. Seems to work fine for 1318. That said, I also don't get the insane top-cropping activity that most do when I dump in all the trub from the end of the boil.

I just sanitize a spoon with isopropyl and make a small passage to place my hops in. Works great.

I usually swirl the fermenter to sink the pellets. Seems to work fine for 1318. That said, I also don't get the insane top-cropping activity that most do when I dump in all the trub from the end of the boil.

Interesting as I do the same I take everything from the kettle.

I use 1318 a fair bit. I dry hop in a sock and push it down a bit with my thief, then I take a gravity sample.

Latest posts

Back