Dry hopping with tea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stt

Reaction score
Hi everyone. New member to the forums... This place is a great source of information. First time I have had a question I need

I am trying to make a jasmine pearl tea-infused bier de table. I am planning on extracting tea flavor by doing a "cold brew"/dry hop of tea in primary after fermentation has settled down (haven't gotten a secondary fermenter set-up yet).

Two questions:
1) Will adding raw tea cause contamination issues? Hops have natural preservative qualities; tea, I am not sure about...

2) is this the best way to extract the floral nose from the jasmine that I am looking for? I am also considering doing a concentrated steep of tea and adding this to the bottling bucket.

Thanks!

I would think you would run risk of contamination with raw tea. I'd make a concentrated steep as you said.

I think you would be fine to do the cold extraction. If you're adding it after fermentation youll be adding any potential bacteria to a hostile environment(alcohol, C02 etc). The risk of getting an infection after the beer has fermented is far lower. But, for good measure be as sanitary as possible.

I recently made a wit with grey grey tea, I just thew 10 tea bags into the bottling bucket and let them infuse for 10 minutes. From what I've read you don't want to let them soak for too long or you will get too many tannins.

Back