"Dry Hopping" with Herbal Teas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BonnieJ

Reaction score
I'm thinking about trying this with a batch of beer and I was thinking it might be interesting to try with a cider, as well. Some herbal teas are fruity and fairly fragrant (they smell SO good, actually!). They're not super strongly flavored, but I'm guessing they might add something if they were added, say, after you racked off of the primary fermenter.

Thoughts? Has anyone tried this?

I would probably just cold brew a batch or two then add the liquid until you get the flavour you want. The tea would be way too overpowering if you 'dry hop' with it!

Herbal Tea itself tends to taste bland as hell if you ask me, or is that fruit tea? you might have to make a really strong one with several teabags - maybe boil them for a while and add the juice. you can always reduce the juice itself if you don't want to dilute your brew at all. home brew that is, not a sort of "fancy a brew?" thing.

I probably wouldn't boil them because they will release a lot more tannins than if you cold brew them. It might end up being too bitter.

Back