Dry hopping times

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stosh

Reaction score
I'm getting back to experimenting with highly pungent and hoppy brews.

I do hopstands/whirlpools but when it comes to dry hopping I've seen times vary from a few days up to two weeks and longer. I BIAB if that makes a difference.

Question is how short can a dry hop time period be and still contribute to the final product? For example I was going to leave my last dry hop addition for 12 hrs before starting the cold crash. Is that too short a time frame?

I haven't tried to dry hop for less than 5 days or so, making 5 gallon batches.

I'd imagine that it would be possible to brew a beer without much hops at the end of the boil, and notice an effect from a 12 hour dry hop. I'd also imagine that the effect would be more pronounced at 24, 48 hours, etc., but that the increase starts to plateau around a week.

This is certainly not the most efficient use of the hops though, and I am not sure it would produce a better beer.

I'm getting back to experimenting with highly pungent and hoppy brews.

I do hopstands/whirlpools but when it comes to dry hopping I've seen times vary from a few days up to two weeks and longer. I BIAB if that makes a difference.

Question is how short can a dry hop time period be and still contribute to the final product? For example I was going to leave my last dry hop addition for 12 hrs before starting the cold crash. Is that too short a time frame?
If you haven't yet...I would give this a read...usually i employ a day 6 dry hop and then a day 7 dry hop then start cold crash on day 9 and keg on day 10..no bags ..all loose...
http://scottjanish.com/examination-...s-for-achieving-maximum-hop-aroma-and-flavor/

I think it is all in degrees of time/contribution. With very little time I would expect very little contribution. If you dry hop for only 12 hours you will get contribution. Whether that meets you goals/expectations is another story.

Most often range I have seen is 5 - 7 days. Where on the timeline the peak of contribution sits would be variable for many different reasons. Personal tastes, variety of hop(s), amounts of hop(s) style of beer, temperature, etc.

The only way I can think of to find your "sweet spot" would be to experiment with time and amounts.

You definitely need to experiment on your own and see what you like. I personally found out that longer than 2-3 days adds nothing more than the 48 hours did not add already. I also feel the aroma becomes more " bland " with the time passing.

Thanks for all the feedback.

It all comes down to personal taste. The experimentation is my favorite part. Since I've been doing 2-3 gallon batches I can brew every weekend if I want to.

I'm going to go have a home brew.

Last edited:
There are plenty of studies done by Hop researchers that say you reach maximum extraction at no more than 2 days and often less. That being said it depends on a lot of variables.

Kimmich said no less than 4, never more than 6. Vinnie will do anywhere from 7-14 days.

Know a brewer who’s won GABF gold for IIpA, IPA, Alpha King, etc. He always crashes at 48 hours.

Everyone now loves dry hopping during fermentation. I generally hate the muddy impact it makes on the hop flavor and aroma.

If you can keep your beer under positive Co2 pressure, soft cool after fermentation and pull as much yeast from the beer as possible before adding dry hops you will get much more impact from per oz than any other method.

Last edited:
Things change quick around here.

The norm used to be 10 days
Then 7 days
THen 5 days
Now many say 3 or 4 is the sweet spot

Brulosophy did a an experiment between short and long dry hop times and the difference was noticeable

Experimenting will be your only true way of knowing....no matter what the length it cant hurt so you have nothing to lose.

Many will say adding your dry hops at the end of fermentation scrubbs out the Oxygen in the hops

I forgot to add the dry hooping additions to an IPA (5 days worth of dry hopping) - I only have time to brew/bottles on the weekends
I added them yesterday, and its been 24 hours or so since the additions - any objects to a 1 day dry hop?

I forgot to add the dry hooping additions to an IPA (5 days worth of dry hopping) - I only have time to brew/bottles on the weekends
I added them yesterday, and its been 24 hours or so since the additions - any objects to a 1 day dry hop?
If you can agitate/stir them periodically you will get much faster and possibly more extraction than from simply soaking. Also half the dry hops tend to float for a day, unless stirred.

But you need to do this without exposing the beer to any air/oxygen, as that will kill any hop sensation in record time.

I drilled a 1" (stoppered) hole in my bucket lids to I can stick the back end of a long plastic brew spoon (it has a small rectangular paddle) into the bucket and give the beer a gentle stir. This while CO2 is streaming in through the airlock shaft, and out the 1" hole. There is no way air can get in that way.

Dry hop/agitate this way for another day and bottle on Sunday. You probably need a cold crash before bottling too...

If the hops are bagged, speedy extraction is off unless you pump/bloom the bag several times a day. Under CO2 of course.

My dry hops are added at 48 hrs and then a second at 24 hrs prior to cold crashing...no objections here...you should get a great out of the bag aroma!!!

My dry hops are added at 48 hrs and then a second at 24 hrs prior to cold crashing...no objections here...you should get a great out of the bag aroma!!!

All I need is that one person to say no objections..haha...anybody every try cold crashing in a day, or a couple of hours? ....I set my chamber at 0 C (32F) i'm going to let it ride for a couple of hours then bottle​

All I need is that one person to say no objections..haha...anybody every try cold crashing in a day, or a couple of hours? ....I set my chamber at 0 C (32F) i'm going to let it ride for a couple of hours then bottle​
Again...no objection here...I cold crash for 24hrs and then keg...but since your bottling a bit longer might be better

dry hop for 4 days at 61 degrees, then cold crash with gelatin at 33 degrees for 2 days is what I am doing with my current batch of ipa. I shook the fermenter for a few seconds after adding the pellet hops, and then 12 hours later,
shook the fermenter again to mix in the hops. 1st time trying the shaking technique. [emoji482]

Back