dry hopping questions???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfgre

Reaction score
i am brewing a IPA batch. the recipe does not call for dry hopping... i am looking for a hoppy flavor and aroma should i buy extra hops if so what kind... and when should i put the hops into the fermenter. how many days after i start???

i am brewing a IPA batch. the recipe does not call for dry hopping... i am looking for a hoppy flavor and aroma should i buy extra hops if so what kind... and when should i put the hops into the fermenter. how many days after i start???

You will want to wait until fermentation is pretty much complete before you dry-hop. I will usually keep my beer in a primary for at least two weeks before I transfer it to a secondary and add dry hops. As for what type of hops, there are many, many varieties to choose from. A good place to start would be something like centennial, cascade, amarillo, simcoe, etc. As for how much, you will want to consider the recipe that you have used. An oz or two of dry hops would probably be a good starting point to give an IPA a nice punch of hop aroma/flavor.

can i dry hop in the primary after 2 weeks?

i usually dry hop in primary after 2 weeks for about 10 days. i use high alpha hop combinations (usually about 3-5oz) that contain strong aromatic oils. some hops used- columbus, simcoe, amarillo, centennial, cascade.

You could add dry hops when you pitch the yeast but some of the aroma will go out the air lock with the C02. If you add them right after the fermentation dies down the only real loss is to what the yeast cake absorbs.

Back