dry hopping NEIPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greytop

Reaction score
My recipe calls for starting the dry hopping at 3 days after brewing in order to allow biotransformation to take place. However, it doesn't say how long to leave the hops on. Do I pull them when I hit FG or leave them longer? Thanks.

Doesn't really matter too much....When I dry Hop, depending on how lazy i feel, I will first do a round at 3 days in and then anothet dry hop around 7 days later. This past NEIPA I did a hop sock so first round went in at Day 3 stayed until a week later. I pulled the first hop sock, then added a new round in a new sock.

I've also done it when I just add them in without any hop sock so the first round ends up staying in for 2 weeks. Either way works and I haven't noticed any off flavors. Some people will say you get a grassy flavor after so long. But people will dry hop in their serving kegs without issue and it stays in there for the length of the beer obviously.

Dryhopping in the keg will not give the same grassy flavours, as the temperature in the keg is very, very low, thus the extraction of the oils is slower.

Dry hopping aggresively at room temperature and leaving it there for more than 7 days, could give harsh, grassy flavours.

I have heard people dry hopping for 14 days and tried it myself with an IPA. I had to wait 45 days for the beer to mellow out.

I only dry hop for 3 to 5 days and get really beautiful results.

For NEIPA, the first dry hop needs to be added 3-4 days into fermentation and left there for 5 days. Remove the hops and dry hop again on day 14-15 for another 3-5 days. ( this charge should be much greater than the one added during fermentation )

Thanks! Yeah, it's the grassiness I'm trying to avoid. The recipe calls for just one round of dry hopping with 5 oz of hops added during active fermentation. I wonder if I should split that into two rounds or maybe do another 5 oz when I pull the first round. BTW dry hop combo is 2.5 oz Citra, 1.25 oz Amarillo, 1.25 oz Centennial.

Thanks! Yeah, it's the grassiness I'm trying to avoid. The recipe calls for just one round of dry hopping with 5 oz of hops added during active fermentation. I wonder if I should split that into two rounds or maybe do another 5 oz when I pull the first round. BTW dry hop combo is 2.5 oz Citra, 1.25 oz Amarillo, 1.25 oz Centennial.

you could split those if you wanted. My NEIPA I just kegged was 1.5oz each of Citra and Galaxy at day 3 then I did 2oz each of Citra and Galaxy a week later and let those ride for a week. So I dry hopped with 7ozs of hops all together.

I would do something like 1oz Citra .5 Amarillo .5 Centennial on day 3 then 1.5 Citra .75 Amarillo and .75 Centennial as the second addition to really get that hop aroma right there at the end. That way you get the benefits of the hops during top of fermentation and then you get the high aromas at the end. IMO

Edit: Just noticed you said you could add more. You could do my hop schedule if you wanted, I get tons of hop aroma off this last batch, I'm really happy with it. For the second addition I would take the Citra to 2ozs and the rest up to 1oz or maybe 1.5ozs

"Edit: Just noticed you said you could add more. You could do my hop schedule if you wanted, I get tons of hop aroma off this last batch, I'm really happy with it. For the second addition I would take the Citra to 2ozs and the rest up to 1oz or maybe 1.5ozs[/QUOTE]

Great plan. Thanks for your help. :mug:

I usually add 2 oz of hops when i transfer into the primary at pitch. I think do another 8 oz of hops on day 2-3. Its out of the primary and in the keg between day 7-10. Had great results so far.

My usual routine:

Brew Saturday, First dry hop Tuesday, second dry hop Friday, Cold crash next Tuesday, keg thursday.

I've gotten excellent results with this, so I have no plans to change. I have friends who have access to a steady stream of NEIPA's (mostly Trillium, Treehouse and Hill Farmstead) along with the local Toppling Goliath stuff. They've given me great reviews on my NEIPA's so far so it must be working pretty well.

My usual routine:

Brew Saturday, First dry hop Tuesday, second dry hop Friday, Cold crash next Tuesday, keg thursday.

this is not too far off from my findings. using london esb yeast, i find the beer has fermented below 1.020 by 48 hrs or so, so my first dry hop is typically after 2 days. 4 days later I add a 2nd round of dry hops, and 4 days later i cool the beer enough to get the hops to drop out (not really a 'crash', but down to 50 degrees or so), and then bottle or keg.

I think I should start researching things before I do it. For some reason I like to do it then research of I did the right thing or not. :ban:

So, I brewed 10 gallons of a NEIPA last night and had noticeable fermentation this morning.

I have only dry hopped on the secondary before but I wanted to see how this brew would taste with hops in the primary.I decided to add 3 oz of citra and 3 oz of mosaic hops to the fermenter. Does anybody know if this will destroy my brew? Will my tongue fall off if I drink it? Cheers!

I think I should start researching things before I do it. For some reason I like to do it then research of I did the right thing or not. :ban:

So, I brewed 10 gallons of a NEIPA last night and had noticeable fermentation this morning.

I have only dry hopped on the secondary before but I wanted to see how this brew would taste with hops in the primary.I decided to add 3 oz of citra and 3 oz of mosaic hops to the fermenter. Does anybody know if this will destroy my brew? Will my tongue fall of if I drink it? Cheers!

Timing these dry hop additions to a NEIPA does make a difference. I usually do the first dry hop at around 50-70% expected attenuation. Sometimes that happens to be indeed the next day and usually before 3 days have passed. I've missed that narrow interval once or twice, being already around 80% attenuated. So I keep a better "eye" on it now.

A first dry hop of 6 oz in 10 gallons is definitely not over the top for this style. Are you planning on a 2nd round once it's nearly done (@ ~90% attenuation)? Same amount?

I added some hops at hop stand too.

added at hopstand
Mosaic 2 oz
Galaxy 3 oz
Amarillo 3 oz
Citra 2 oz

added during primary at day 1
Mosaic 3 oz
Citra 3 oz

I wasn't planning on adding any after fermentation but I might need to. I usually do 7 to 10 days in the fermenter then cold crash in a keg. Should I added some more in the fermenter, post fermentation around day 7?

I added some hops at hop stand too.

added at hopstand

Mosaic 2 oz

Galaxy 3 oz

Amarillo 3 oz

Citra 2 oz

added during primary at day 1

Mosaic 3 oz

Citra 3 oz

I wasn't planning on adding any after fermentation but I might need to. I usually do 7 to 10 days in the fermenter then cold crash in a keg. Should I added some more in the fermenter, post fermentation around day 7?

I would personally stagger the dry hop ex; day1-3 & day 4-5, crash, and prepare for a keg hop addition.
I prefer staggering my dry hops and then throwing a dry hop addition into the keg (2-5oz)(kept till keg kicks) the aroma and flavor last a while imo.

I out my first dry hop additions in at high kreusen usually about 12 hrs after pitching and remove them after 2 days. After a week in primary I transfer to keg and add my next dry hop additions along with with corn sugar for 5 days. Then close transfer to serving keg.

My usual routine:

I've gotten excellent results with this, so I have no plans to change. I have friends who have access to a steady stream of NEIPA's (mostly Trillium, Treehouse and Hill Farmstead) along with the local Toppling Goliath stuff. They've given me great reviews on my NEIPA's so far so it must be working pretty well.
Dang!! That's almost my EXACT schedule! Produces some of the best smelling and tasting IPA's I've ever made. I've also switched to using cryo hops for all my late addition and dry hopping when I can find it. This most recent one I'm kegging tomorrow has cryo Mosaic and Citra and Amarillo Hop Hash. For my second dry hop, I keg after 7 days and add the dry hops to my stainless dry hopper tube. Then I can purge the O2 and ferment under a little pressure for the last few days. Then I drop it into my keezer, force carb, and just leave the hops in there until the keg kicks...which is generally less than a month for a NEIPA.

Dryhopping in the keg will not give the same grassy flavours, as the temperature in the keg is very, very low, thus the extraction of the oils is slower.

Dry hopping aggresively at room temperature and leaving it there for more than 7 days, could give harsh, grassy flavours.

I have heard people dry hopping for 14 days and tried it myself with an IPA. I had to wait 45 days for the beer to mellow out.

For NEIPA, the first dry hop needs to be added 3-4 days into fermentation and left there for 5 days. Remove the hops and dry hop again on day 14-15 for another 3-5 days. ( this charge should be much greater than the one added during fermentation )
I have to say I don't agree with this at all from my experience. Personally I've found I can't keg hop for more than about 48hrs before I get an unpleasant vegetal taste, whereas something about active ferment hop additions seem to be fine left in for a week or more with none of the ming (although I agree that longer normal warm additions have the same grassyness). Also I find the risk of o2 for the second addition to be too much in an neipa. Even minute amounts of oxygen will spoil a hop saturated high unmalted wheat beer.
My schedule would be a big charge around 48hrs and a bigger charge at day 4 or so, then into liquid purged kegs at around 2 weeks.
In not saying what you are doing isn't making great beer of course, just offering my experiences. My distaste for keg hop beyond 48 hrs does seem to put me in the minority I admit, but I stand by it.

I have to say I don't agree with this at all from my experience. Personally I've found I can't keg hop for more than about 48hrs before I get an unpleasant vegetal taste, whereas something about active ferment hop additions seem to be fine left in for a week or more with none of the ming (although I agree that longer normal warm additions have the same grassyness). Also I find the risk of o2 for the second addition to be too much in an neipa. Even minute amounts of oxygen will spoil a hop saturated high unmalted wheat beer.
My schedule would be a big charge around 48hrs and a bigger charge at day 4 or so, then into liquid purged kegs at around 2 weeks.
In not saying what you are doing isn't making great beer of course, just offering my experiences. My distaste for keg hop beyond 48 hrs does seem to put me in the minority I admit, but I stand by it.

I wonder if the type of hops matter. All my keg additions have been mostly cryo hops...which by nature don't offer up the grassy vegetal notes people experience. I too am extremely paranoid of the O2 risk for these NEIPAs. That's why my late addition hops go into a purged (just CO2...not liquid) keg and then purged again after I fill it. I've just done 2 this way...but so far so good. I don't crash cool in fermenter (suck-back) and I NEVER secondary for these reasons.

I try to keep dryhopping "entries" into the fermentation vessel to a minimum. I'll dry hop after 4-5 days when the fermentation has slowed. Using 1318, this is typically after 4 days at 67F, then I slowly raise the temp to 70 over the next 3 days.

The way I see it- if active fermentation is still going on, it's still making C02, and helping push out any oxygen that entered when I put the hops in. It makes for a beer that doesn't taste oxidized. And I don't screw around with "getting out the old hops" before transferring, which is out of the bottom of my conical fastferment.

I honestly believe oxygen exposure matters more to a NEIPA than does "biotransformation."

hi mmahu,
I love your recommendations and I’m the type of person who loves to understand “the why behind” and I was wondering if you can tell me where you got your info? I just want to read it myself so I can better understand for amount of hops to use for amount of time in dry hop, how long to leave them in/if to take them out etc.? If you remember I would really appreciate it!!!

Back