dry hopping kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehk089

Reaction score
I brewed a dales pale clone a few weeks back that I kegged ~2 weeks ago. Hop character was low (maybe alpha acid this year on the hop schedule was lower than previous) so after a few days I added an oz of cascade I had in the fridge. Used the wife's tea ball (metal mesh steeper)...Boiled it for ten mins, cooled, added hops and dropped in keg. Then purged, and let it go for a day. First day it was great, second day flavor seemed to start to fade...fifth or sixth day and it seems to be fading more. At this point, I would have expected more hop flavor instead of it fading. Is dry hopping in kegs a bad Idea? Or did I maybe oxidize beer when I added dry hops, resulting in flavor dissipation?

well, you only added 1oz, that's a pretty low amount. Most of my pale ales and IPA's get at least 3-4oz, usually 6-10oz.

Also, yeah you probably oxidized the beer a bit by opening the top of the keg.

I brewed a dales pale clone a few weeks back that I kegged ~2 weeks ago. Hop character was low (maybe alpha acid this year on the hop schedule was lower than previous) so after a few days I added an oz of cascade I had in the fridge. Used the wife's tea ball (metal mesh steeper)...Boiled it for ten mins, cooled, added hops and dropped in keg. Then purged, and let it go for a day. First day it was great, second day flavor seemed to start to fade...fifth or sixth day and it seems to be fading more. At this point, I would have expected more hop flavor instead of it fading. Is dry hopping in kegs a bad Idea? Or did I maybe oxidize beer when I added dry hops, resulting in flavor dissipation?

I keg hop all of my hoppy beers. I put a bag of hops in the keg and transfer onto it. It takes a good 3 weeks before the keg dry hopping kicks in but once it does it is spectacular. I assume it is because of the cold temperatures that it takes time for it to work.

Back