Dry hopping in the keg.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrunkinIrish

Reaction score
I am going to dry hop my IPA in the keg, but I am wondering if I should do this under pressure or just purge the o2 and leave it at a very low pressure. If you have ever done this before please let me know.

I do this all the time. I normally wait until my keg is chilled and then add the hops eitherin a hop back or stainless basket with some plain dental floss. I just carb as normal. I use the set it and forget it method and sometimes I take the hops out after 2 weeks and many times, just leave them in depending on how fast it looks like the keg will be emptied.

I normally dry hop in a keg, using hop pellets in a fine mesh hop bag suspended from a welded nut on the lid. I typically wait with chilling the keg until after a week of dry hopping. The higher ambient temps should extract faster. The more vigorously I agitate the keg during that period, the more fine hop pellet material makes it through the mesh, which will eventually settle on the bottom. The first few pints will be green and harsh. It gets better after that.

2 weeks ago I didn't have another fine mesh hop bag and instead used a piece of very fine woven natural (unbleached) muslin from my wife's fabric collection. It is actually pretty substantial and quite thick, and you cannot see through it. I was amazed how much and vigorously I could agitate without getting the green flood in my beer, while it seems to extract the hop oils equally well. I'll have her sew a few bags out of that and maybe the next fabric weight down, if I can find it. I also have some really thin muslin that's more like very fine cheese cloth. I don't think that would be tight enough to hold the fine hop powder back.

I drop the bag right into the keg. But I do have to warn you that the flavor is not as strong as a room temp dry hop . I actually have started doing both. Dry hop the fermenter, the dry hop the keg. Since the reaction is slowed in the cold keg I don't remove the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back