Dry hopping in secondary for IPA.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bbbeldums1

Reaction score
I made a BB IPA kit Sunday the 16th. I will check the gravity tonight and then again Monday night. If I'm at my FG I will transfer to my secondary like on Tuesday. I'm going to dry hop this beer with pellet hops. How long should I leave it in the secondary for? It will be around 66-70 degrees also if that helps.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Home Brew mobile app

I took a FG reading today and it's 1.023. The instructions say the FG is 1.017-1.014. I'm gonna let it sit in the primary for another two days and take another reading. I'm thinking about just dry hopping the this beer in the primary. Is it by chance ok to start the dry hop now or wait. I made this beer Last Sunday so it's only been in the primary for 7 days. Anything I should be worried about. Not my first kit I've done, but I don't want this one to be bad. Love my IPA's.

I wouldn't dry hop before day 10 and only then if it very close to final gravity (within .02 gravity). My last one I dry hopped was a IIPA that I hopped in primary for 5 days. It has been in the keg for 3 weeks now and is just a perfect blend of aroma, flavor and bitter grapefruit.

It's personal preference. If you dry-hop them before you reach FG, you'll lose some of the hop aroma out the air-lock. However, some of the O2 introduced to the beer through addition of hops will be removed by the still active yeast.

I personally ferment for 2 weeks, then add the hops to primary for another week...so that's 3 weeks total.

Two weeks in the primary then dry hop for one week sounds like a plan. Has anyone ever did a cold crash on the primary right around FG then pull it out of the cold crash to dry hop?

I took a FG reading today and it's 1.023. The instructions say the FG is 1.017-1.014. I'm gonna let it sit in the primary for another two days and take another reading. I'm thinking about just dry hopping the this beer in the primary. Is it by chance ok to start the dry hop now or wait. I made this beer Last Sunday so it's only been in the primary for 7 days. Anything I should be worried about. Not my first kit I've done, but I don't want this one to be bad. Love my IPA's.

Low ferm temps are good for clean tasting beer.
Once you're nearing your FG you can warm the beer up a bit to get more yeast activity, so it can clean up and knock a few more points off. Assuming you're using a dry yeast such as US-05 70-74°F is good to finish it off. Give it another week at the higher temps, and take FG again. Then think about dry hopping or letting it sit another week if you think it will bring it down somewhat more.

As said before, don't rack to a secondary for dry hopping.

Two weeks in the primary then dry hop for one week sounds like a plan. Has anyone ever did a cold crash on the primary right around FG then pull it out of the cold crash to dry hop?

I always cold crash my beers before racking them off the yeast cake. I do not cold crash just to dry hop. That said, if I want to harvest the yeast, I will cold crash and the rack my beer on to the hops.

Latest posts

Back