dry hopping in kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyoesq

Reaction score
So I have a dual tap kegerator, which I try and keep fulled on both taps via the homebrew pipeline. I didn't plan this rotation out too well. I just kicked one keg tonight, and the next batch is ready to be kegged, but it is the northern brewer Chinook IPA, and forgot the 1 week dry hop step.

My plan was to put the hop pellets in a hop bag, in the keg, and put the keg in the kegerator under pressure. So that the dry hopping is done when the keg gets pressurized. would that work? I guess in a week I can then fish the bag out?

Any problem with this approach?

I just hop'd my IPA with Simcoe in the keg and plan on leaving it there for the life of the beer. I used a zip tie to fix the bag to the dip tube so that I wouldnt have any issues when the beer got to the last few pours. Since the beer will be cold, you don't have to worry about the hops imparting any off/veggie flavors.

This totally works. If you leave whole leaf hops though, I've found you can just leave them in there the entire time you are tapping the keg without any of that nasty grassy flavors that extended pellet dry hopping can get.
In fact, I just tapped a keg that was dry hopped for over 4 months with an ounce of whole leaf citra and oh my god is it good. I used unscented dental floss to suspend the hops in the middle of the keg

Back