Dry Hopping in Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TR6

Reaction score
So I have a FastFerment conical. When I changed out the collection ball on my last batch the valve was loose, and I had to keg prematurely (lost a litre of beer). As a result I filled my hop tube with citra and centennial pellets and threw them into the keg before I sealed it and carbed it. Beer was tasty but my hop tube is still in there. I now am ready to dry hop another batch or do something with it. I am considering kegging it, pressurizing to 30 psi, purge a few times and pressurize to 30 psi unhook the co2 and leave until my other keg has kicked. Then retrieve my hop tube clean it refill it with hops, open my newer brew, toss the tube in and then force carb it. I have read that if you toss hops into a carbonated keg, it will foam out of the top. But this won't be carbed when i put my hop tube in ....has anyone done this? Am I flirting with disaster?

How confident are you in your keg lid's seal under low/no pressure? If you don't keep it pressurized, the CO2 in the headspace is going to dissolve into the beer until it reaches equilibrium. I've seen kegs that hold typical keg pressures, but leak at much lower pressures.

Crap. I ended up just using a hop bag tied with a dental floss. But I forgot to toss a weight into the bag before I dropped it in. Is it worth it to open the keg and weigh the bag down, or just take my lumps.

I'd consider leaving it. It will settle into the uppermost couple of inches of beer and as the pellets break down they'll rain their contributions down over time, and as long as you keep the keg cold all will be fine. Whenever I keg-hop I leave the (full flower) hops in the keg 'til it kicks. That said, I've never keg-hopped with pellets, but I don't think it'd be all that different in effect...

Cheers!

And that is the exact answer I was hoping for! Thanks.

I throw hop pellets in a mesh bag into the keg and leave it until it's kicked, which sometimes is like 6 weeks. I've never done a side by side experiment or anything but I've never noticed any vegetal flavors which seems to be hypothesized as the potential downside.

I do hop pellets in a bag all the time and it works fine. I also tried it with loose leaf hops, no bag. That was NOT a good idea. I eventually racked that one into a second keg.

Ouch. Yeah, definitely need at least a muslin bag for whole cones lest you play "Plugged Keg Roulette" :)
I remember a gathering at an HBT member's place many Octobers ago where a keg was brought out loaded with loose leaf, and that there were lots of bare arms involved in trying to "fix" it :D

Cheers!

My experience in using pellets and a floating dip tube is that its clear beer until the last pint. At least, after the first two days or so of dry hop, as I can't help but taste my beers daily. DH @ 36F, put the gas on after the first 2 days to force the hops to drop, and then drink away! You might get the occasional piece of hop, but, come one, is that really a bad thing?

I would argue that tasting a chunk of beer might be considered the definition of craft vs. poser. The odds of you ever knowing with what BMC made the beer you are drinking are mighty slim. :eek:

Back