Dry Hopping in Keg

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

TR6

Reaction score
So I have a FastFerment conical. When I changed out the collection ball on my last batch the valve was loose, and I had to keg prematurely (lost a litre of beer). As a result I filled my hop tube with citra and centennial pellets and threw them into the keg before I sealed it and carbed it. Beer was tasty but my hop tube is still in there. I now am ready to dry hop another batch or do something with it. I am considering kegging it, pressurizing to 30 psi, purge a few times and pressurize to 30 psi unhook the co2 and leave until my other keg has kicked. Then retrieve my hop tube clean it refill it with hops, open my newer brew, toss the tube in and then force carb it. I have read that if you toss hops into a carbonated keg, it will foam out of the top. But this won't be carbed when i put my hop tube in ....has anyone done this? Am I flirting with disaster?

VikeMan

It ain't all burritos and strippers, my friend.
Reaction score
How confident are you in your keg lid's seal under low/no pressure? If you don't keep it pressurized, the CO2 in the headspace is going to dissolve into the beer until it reaches equilibrium. I've seen kegs that hold typical keg pressures, but leak at much lower pressures.

OP
T

TR6

Reaction score
Pretty confident, hasn't failed me yet.

El Duderino

Reaction score
I'd just order a cheap Hop Sock/bag instead of risking oxygen exposure when opening the hopped keg

OP
T

TR6

Reaction score
Crap. I ended up just using a hop bag tied with a dental floss. But I forgot to toss a weight into the bag before I dropped it in. Is it worth it to open the keg and weigh the bag down, or just take my lumps.

day_trippr

Covid-19 Vaccine Effectivity Test Subject
Reaction score
I'd consider leaving it. It will settle into the uppermost couple of inches of beer and as the pellets break down they'll rain their contributions down over time, and as long as you keep the keg cold all will be fine. Whenever I keg-hop I leave the (full flower) hops in the keg 'til it kicks. That said, I've never keg-hopped with pellets, but I don't think it'd be all that different in effect...

Cheers!

OP
T

TR6

Reaction score
And that is the exact answer I was hoping for! Thanks.

Latest posts