Dry hopping in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewkyBrown

Reaction score
I have read many conflicting reports whether you should leave hops in your keg for the duration the keg is on tap.
I have an ipa which is nearly ready to keg and would like to leave my hops in until it is finished.
Is this common practice?

I was thinking of racking to keg, adding hops and carbing then leaving keg at room temp for 5-7 days then cooling. Will the cooling prevent any grassy flavors from developing while keeping the hop aroma strong?

Thanks.

I would think that it's no different than a hop rocket run inline however, I think the main concern would be pulling "gunk" through your lines and maybe getting crap stuck in your tap. Maybe throw the hops in a bag and let them float?

Sorry, yes I should of said. I was thinking of using a paint strainer bag until I get a stainless
Hopper. I'm hoping this should contain all the
material and not cloud the beer?

I have done this many, many time and NEVER noticed any off, or grass favors. I usually dry hop with two oz in a five gallon batch. I use a muslin bag, and weigh it down with a few sterilized shot glasses as weights. Other wise your hops will float on top and not be submerged in the beer doing their job. Go for it, you will be happy!

I have done this many, many time and NEVER noticed any off, or grass favors. I usually dry hop with two oz in a five gallon batch. I use a muslin bag, and weigh it down with a few sterilized shot glasses as weights. Other wise your hops will float on top and not be submerged in the beer doing their job. Go for it, you will be happy!
Pretty much ditto except I use some glass marbles that you see many flower/table decorations held down with. They sterilize easily and 3-4 work fine.
I've left them in my keg for 6 weeks or so with no grass aroma/flaovrs. Only thing is there's some hop funk at the bottom, as to be expected.

The lower the temperature, the lower the chance for "grassy" flavors from the hops. 2 weeks at room temp can sometimes give a hint of grassiness from the dry hops - but 2 weeks at 55-60 will produce none of that flavor. At serving temperature, just leave them in and let them contribute all the can right to the end. That's what I do and there's never an issue - only positives.

I say go for it. :rockin:

If you're still unsure, you could always put those hops in a bag at the end of a sanitized fishing line and tie that off to the ring of the lid pressure release valve. If the flavor starts to go south for any reason, take 'em out.

Awesome . Thanks fellas. Looking forward to tapping that one in a couple of weeks. I tasted the hydro sample yesterday and it was amazing. Full of flavour and a fantastic orange colour. Another 3 ounces of c hops can only help!

Back