Dry hopping in keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trapae

Reaction score
Question for those of you who dry hop in the keg. I have never dry hopped this way and know that many of you do, I was wondering if you put the Hops in a weighted bag on a string and dry hop for 5-7-10 days at room temperature, then pull the bag out, carb and refrigerate? I get the impression however some people just put the bag in, carbonate, refrigerator, and leave it in the whole time. Would that not lead to vegetal taste? How do you all do it?

Thanks,
T

I get the impression however some people just put the bag in, carbonate, refrigerator, and leave it in the whole time.

I just did this with an APA and an IPA with a oz of cascade in the APA and a oz of Perle in the IPA

I do 11 gallon batches with two 5 gallon keg so one sits longer then the other I did not notice and grassy/vegetable taste

I just put then in a bag rack on top with no weight

all the best

S_M

I've done it both ways now and not noticed any vegetative flavors. I've got hops in my pale ale that have been in there for a few months. I've also read of people putting new hops in after awhile to freshen up the hop flavor. The only issue I've had is having a bag come undone and pellet sludge clogging my dip tube. That sucked but with a bit of foresight it's easily avoided. Just double the top of the bag over and tie it off. If you're going to tie it off and hang a string out for easy bag retrieval use dental floss. It's flatness keeps the keg seal intact.

I have keg hopped at least a couple hundred batches and never had vegetal off flavors. There is no need to weight the bag. It will drop on its own.

Reading here from others that have gone before me I have given this a try.
I kegged the house IPA on May 2nd with 2oz of Centennial. Due to the fact that I have no friends and don't drink much I'm still drinking from this keg. The last beer I poured this past Monday still had no off flavors though the hop nose has diminished.

I used a hop sack (from MoreBeer I think) one of those with mesh so fine you wonder how it's going to work.
I sanitized it, a shot glass and non waxed dental floss. Put the shot glass in the sack, added hops and tied it off with the floss, lowered the sack into the keg till it jus hung off the bottom and tied it to the handle. Racked beer into keg and sealed it up. Put it in the keezer and on the gas. Tried my first pint one week later and wondered if I'd mess something up the hop aroma was so strong. From week 2 through the next 8-10 weeks was the best IPA I've made to date. Like I said, the hop aroma has diminished, but no off flavors yet. Thought I'd just let it go until off flavors developed or the keg kicked.
Hope this help and it works for you.

I've only done this once since I'm new to kegging. I did a hoppy wheat this way with a hop bag, which is a short and wide mesh bag with a draw string. I just tied dental floss to the draw string and tied it off on the handle of the keg so that it hung about a quarter of the way down (after racking the beer on the bag while at the bottom of the keg). I also threw in a couple of those granite whiskey rocks you can freeze, for some weight. I figure this will give the beer enough time to pick up the hop aroma before the beer gets below the hanging hop bag.

Back