Dry Hopping Hazy Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElPatoLoco

Reaction score
I'm on day 2 of fermentation for a hazy pale ale. I'm following a recipe from my local brew supply shop. These are my hops so far:

.5 oz Azacca at 60 min
1 oz Citra at 10 min
.5 oz Azacca at 5 min
2 oz Mosaic & 1 oz Citra for a 20 minute hopstand

I still have 1 oz of Citra and 1 oz of Mosaic for dry hopping, but now with the .5 oz of Azzaca for 60 I'm afraid it might be too bitter. Is this a valid concern? I was thinking about getting an ounce of Sabro or Sultana to add some fruit aroma to counteract the bitterness, but will this just make it an overwhelming mess? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, I'm brewing in a Fermzilla and the instructions call for the 1 oz of Citra on day 3 of fermentation and the 1 oz of Mosaic 5-7 days before bottling, but I don't plan on bottling. My plan is to serve straight from the fermenter and perhaps keg at somepoint down the road, so I want to drop the hops from the dry hop out of the bottom at some point. To minimize oxygen exposure and reduce dumping excess beer, can I add all of my dry hop additions at once? And if so, should I just do it once primary fermentation has ceased? Again, any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

I'd stick with the recipe the first time you brew it. Changes can then be made based on the outcome. I would add the citra on day 3 and the mosaic as soon as primary winds down. 5-7 days after the mosaic addition, the hops should settle enough to remove both additions together with the yeast/trub.

Don't worry about bitterness from dry hop additions. There are studies that indicate dry hops do add a small amount of bitterness, but it is nowhere near the same as isomerized alpha acids which occur at higher temperatures.

Back