Dry hopping, gelatin, and kegging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8rnw8

Reaction score
I've seen questions similar to this posed before, but never with the exact details of my situation. If this has been completely answered, can someone post a link? I couldn't find it. I want to use gelatin to clear an IPA. Time is if the essence so I can't wait for the beer to clear itself, and I do need the beer to be clear. I am also going to dry hop the beer with 2 oz cascade pellets. I want the gelatin to be able to remove chill haze, so it makes sense to me to cold crash before adding the gelatin. Also, I've heard that some hop oils bind to yeast cell membranes, so it makes sense to me to use gelatin to drop the yeast out before dry hopping. My question then is about the hops. I've heard that hops give more flavor to the beer at room temperature, but in order to utilize the gelatin for what I need it to do, the beer will already be chilled. So do I cold crash, use the gelatin, bring the beer back to room temperature, dry hop, and then keg? I could dry hop first, chill, then add gelatin to the keg, but won't the gelatin remove some of the hop flavor in addition to dropping out the yeast (and thus the hop flavor that binds to the yeast cell membranes)? Any help, either theory or experience is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I've always dry hopped at 70f in the secondary , add gelatin to the keg , purge keg with CO2, transfer from secondary to keg and carb. It works fine and will be plenty hoppy. Also I would recommend using 3 oz dry hops per 5 gal batch.

kchomebrew said:
I've always dry hopped at 70f in the secondary , add gelatin to the keg , purge keg with CO2, transfer from secondary to keg and carb. It works fine and will be plenty hoppy. Also I would recommend using 3 oz dry hops per 5 gal batch.

Forgot to mention that I cold crash the secondary for 3 days at about 35f after 7 days on dry hops.

kchomebrew said:
Forgot to mention that I cold crash the secondary for 3 days at about 35f after 7 days on dry hops.

Do you use pellet hops also? I always have plenty of bitterness, I just really want added aroma and a little more flavor, and I'm afraid the yeast and/or the gelatin will pull too much of them out of the beer.

Yeah. I've used whole leaf and pellet for dry hopping. I prefer whole leaf. But it doesn't matter. Yes. Yeast will strip dry hop aroma which is why you need to transfer to a secondary. Once the yeast drops out, add in your dry hopscotch 7 days and then cold crash ( if you use pellet hops they will fall to the bottom). Anyway, gelatin does not strip the hop aroma. It's good to use

kchomebrew said:
Yeah. I've used whole leaf and pellet for dry hopping. I prefer whole leaf. But it doesn't matter. Yes. Yeast will strip dry hop aroma which is why you need to transfer to a secondary. Once the yeast drops out, add in your dry hopscotch 7 days and then cold crash ( if you use pellet hops they will fall to the bottom). Anyway, gelatin does not strip the hop aroma. It's good to use

Dry hops. Not hopscotch. Damn auto text!

Back