Dry-hopping/fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samie85

Reaction score
I had a quick two-part question about an amber I brewed about a week ago. All signs of fermentation have slowed and I'm thinking of trying to bottle it this Sunday. It was a pretty straight-forward amber:

6.3 lbs of Amber LME
1 lb. of Caramel 20 Specialty
3 0z. of Cascade
US05 Yeast

I just peeked at the beer and there's no krausen anymore and the airlock has all but stopped bubbling. It's been a week and two days since I brewed, is this beer done?

I also wanted to dry hop the beer with an oz. of Centennial in the primary. If I drop the hops in tonight, will that short amount of time(1.5 days) be worth it to dry hop?

The main reason for trying to bottle it Sunday is that I want to take a couple bottles back home with me to give to relatives. I know it has to bottle condition, but am I otherwise rushing it?

You're rushing it, and you'd be doing your family a favor by not allowing them to drink it and ruining their opinions of homebrew.

If you want to dryhop, it's best to allow 5-7 days for the hops to really shine.

I can't stress enough how important and benificial it is to your beer to allow it to sit in primary for AT LEAST 2-3 weeks. You'll need an additional 2-3 weeks minimum for it to be carbonated. Yes, sometimes it will carbonate faster, but by waiting the 3 weeks, you'll get yourself into a good habit and your beers will be much better.

I just peeked at the beer and there's no krausen anymore and the airlock has all but stopped bubbling. It's been a week and two days since I brewed, is this beer done?

Forgot to mention... use your hydrometer. It's the best way to know if your beer is done. Check it now, and then check it again in a few days. If it stays the same, it's done.

Airlocks are a horrible way to monitor your beer. They're there to keep air from getting in, not to tell you when fermentation is done.

You're rushing it, and you'd be doing your family a favor by not allowing them to drink it and ruining their opinions of homebrew.

If you want to dryhop, it's best to allow 5-7 days for the hops to really shine.

I can't stress enough how important and benificial it is to your beer to allow it to sit in primary for AT LEAST 2-3 weeks. You'll need an additional 2-3 weeks minimum for it to be carbonated. Yes, sometimes it will carbonate faster, but by waiting the 3 weeks, you'll get yourself into a good habit and your beers will be much better.

Yeah, I wasn't going to let them try it anytime soon, I know bottle-conditioning takes a couple weeks. I just wanted to take some home so they'd have a couple bottles because I don't get home very often. I haven't taken a hydrometer reading to make sure it's done yet, but I plan on it. I figured the dry-hopping would take way longer than the time I have.

Thanks for the advice.

Would it be stupid to do a partial bottling for 3 or 4 bottles worth without dry-hopping that portion? Then dry-hop what's left in the primary?

What Suthrn said is good advice - bottling after one week is generally not a good process, it's too quick. The dry hopping is a seperate issue. Of course, you could bottle it up and see how it turns out - give it a try.

Good luck!

I decided on just dry-hopping right before I left for home, and let that go for 2 weeks. I bottled the other day and it tasted pretty good. Thanks for the advice everyone.

+++++++++++++

I decided on just dry-hopping right before I left for home, and let that go for 2 weeks. I bottled the other day and it tasted pretty good. Thanks for the advice everyone.

I really hope your beer doesn't turn out tasting like grass. Dry-hopping should really only be done for 5-7 days unless you have lots of experience with a certain hop and enjoy the flavors it gives off.

Back