Dry hopping and yeast harvesting - should I use a secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corycorycory09

Reaction score
I've got a 1 month fermentation that calls for dry hopping in week two.

I've seen a lot of recommendations against using a secondary... Does it matter if you dry hop?

I also plan on harvesting the yeast from this batch. Does it matter if I harvest it after 2 weeks or 4 weeks, or will I get the same yeast cake regardless of whether I use a secondary?

It's much easier to save a 'clean' yeast if it's not dryhopped in the same fermenter. I don't usually use a secondary, unless I'm saving the yeast.

Generally, I dry hop right before packaging for the last 5-7 days. That maintains the freshest hop aroma.

1 month fermentation. Dry hop 1 week.

I collect yeast from most of my batches, and will harvest the yeast before adding the hops, to keep it cleaner.

Per the above schedule, ferment in primary for 3 weeks. Rack to secondary and collect yeast. Add hops, and package after a further week.

Agreed...I actually just do large starters now and split off a future starter, but its so much cleaner to simply transfer and then harvest. If you batch size can handle it, I'd take your final hydrometer sample then too...

I prefer to "skim" off the top layer of yeast within the first few days in the primary to prevent the need to wash it later (make sure your sanitizing is impeccable). I prefer racking to a secondary before I dry hop. Everyone is going to have their opinions on using a secondary. In the end, experiment and do what gives you the best results.

Back