Dry-hopping amounts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PattyC

Reaction score
So I have a 2-gallon all-grain batch of Amber Ale fermenting in the carboy now. I used northern brewer for bittering and cascade for my late addition -- just a 1/2 oz. I was planning to add the other 1/2 oz. of cascade in the primary after a couple of weeks to get a nice citrus aroma to it (yeah, I realize it's not to style), but I'm wondering if that's enough for 2 gallons. I'm using pellets. Last time I dry-hopped was on a a 5-gallon batch of pale ale (used 1 oz. pellets), and while it turned out good, I was expecting more of a nose.

Any suggestions on both this particular 2-gallon batch, but also in general when using pellets for dry-hopping? What about whole leaf?

Thanks!

1/2oz for a 2gal batch of Amber is plenty. Pellets or whole leaf are fine, I prefer pellets.

Thanks for the input. What's the most you've ever dry-hopped for a 5-gallon batch? And how did it turn out?

Also, anyone ever DH'd with Northern Brewer hops?

I dry hopped 6G of my BuckIPA with .5oz each of Columbus,Nugget,& Cascade,the same hops used in the boil as late additions. 4.5oz for the late additions. Using the same hops in the dry hop as the boil made for some wonderful aroma & flavor combos. As soon as I'd crack the bottle,I could smell it!

Thanks for the input. What's the most you've ever dry-hopped for a 5-gallon batch? And how did it turn out?

Also, anyone ever DH'd with Northern Brewer hops?

For an Amber ale, about 1oz. For a Double IPA: 7.5oz

Back