Dry hopping after seven days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryno1981

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of black IPA seven days ago. I racked into secondary last night with a hydrometer reading of 1.017. The OG was 1.076. My question is can I dry hop for five or six days or should I wait a while longer? I don't want to add dry hops without it being done fermenting, but as

The beer should be clear before you add your dry hops. Yeast flocs are known to bind to hop oils. If you dry hop early, while still cloudy, you will lose some of the benefit as the beer clears and the flocs take your hop goodness down to the yeast cake.

pfgonzo said:
The beer should be clear before you add your dry hops. Yeast flocs are known to bind to hop oils. If you dry hop early, while still cloudy, you will lose some of the benefit as the beer clears and the flocs take your hop goodness down to the yeast cake.

Thanks. Makes sense.

I brewed a batch of black IPA seven days ago. I racked into secondary last night with a hydrometer reading of 1.017. The OG was 1.076. My question is can I dry hop for five or six days or should I wait a while longer? I don't want to add dry hops without it being done fermenting, but as

Are you saying your beer is still fermenting? You should never rack to secondary until you reach FG. To answer your question....yes. You can dry hop for six days. I wouldn't do more than 10 days though.

Makes sense but many people actually rack on top of the dry hops.

Thank you all! I've never dry hopped so I want to insure that I don't screw it up. Also, I said that the OG was 1.076 it was actually 1.067.

Latest posts

Back