Dry Hopping a Rye Pale Ale... Summit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Bishop

Reaction score
I've got a keg of a 6.6%Rye pale ale brewed with Centennial and Liberty hops. Looking to dry hop it in the keg. Has anyone used Summit as a dry hop?

The description on Hopunion looks promising:
"Distinct spice, earthy, onion, garlic and citrus (pink grapefruit, orange and tangerine) tones"

Does anyone have practical experience with Summit as a dry-hop?

I have dry hopped with 1oz of Summit and 1oz of centennial before. You get a big orangy flavour/aroma, goes really well with the rye. Its also has a dank quality which I like. Your'll only really get the wild garlic quality in very pale single hop beers, even then not always. If you have rye and crystal alongside some other hops you want pick up on that quality, just a big "dirty" citrus hit.

Summit would be my first choice with rye, so imo your good to go.

I've never got the dreading garlic onion flavors from summit, but it varies year to year. If you cant detect any garlic or oniony flavors in smelling it, it wont turn up in the dry hop. Although I usually save summit for bittering since its got such a high alpha% and has nice orangy flavors to blend with most IPA hops

Awesome, thanks. I keep reading about the garlic thing and it had me worried.

It works well as a combo in the dryhop.

Summit is intense. To be safe, employ a 2:1 ratio of Centennial & Summit. This should give you more citrus than anything.

Well, I decided to live dangerously.

Rye Pale Ale just went into the keezer dryhopped with 1 oz of Centennial and 1 oz of Summit.

Can't wait until tomorrow, see what it tastes like!

This turned out *FANTASTIC*. Once I'm done with my currently running brew, I'll get the recipe posted.

Latest posts

Back