Dry-hopping a Pilsener

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windigstadt

Reaction score
Just brewed a German-style Pilsener on Saturday and am planning to dry-hop it with Hallertau and/or Tettnang. I know there's some debate about dry-hopping Pilseners, but even when I add hops at flame-out I never seem to get a strong hop aroma, plus Jim Miller recommends it in his "Continental Pilsner" book, so I'm going for it. I was just curious to hear if anybody else has experience with it, as I'm trying to determine how much I want to add and when. Thanks!

whole or pellet ? in bottom of secondary before transfer is what i always do but i dont really do many lagers. i think you should start small with the amount . 1wk - 2wks

Windigstadt said:
Just brewed a German-style Pilsener on Saturday and am planning to dry-hop it with Hallertau and/or Tettnang. I know there's some debate about dry-hopping Pilseners, but even when I add hops at flame-out I never seem to get a strong hop aroma, plus Jim Miller recommends it in his "Continental Pilsner" book, so I'm going for it. I was just curious to hear if anybody else has experience with it, as I'm trying to determine how much I want to add and when. Thanks!

I dryhopped my pilsner after two weeks with an oz of whole leaf hallertau. Don't listen to anyone that says not to. The aroma after 4-5 weeks was awesome. Don't think I'd change a thing.

Just a heads up that I added an extra # of dme into my wort to fortify my pilsner and it balanced the dryhops well. Not sure how great it will be on a lighter malt bill but I can't see why it wouldn't be great.

whole or pellet ? in bottom of secondary before transfer is what i always do but i dont really do many lagers. i think you should start small with the amount . 1wk - 2wks

I'll be using whole hops. I've dry-hopped occasionally before (though, as I'm not a big hop-head I don't have nearly as much experience with it as most brewers) but never with a lager. For now my plan is to dry-hop in the keg while lagering, though hop tea is an intriguing idea.

Back