Dry hopping a kit...good idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chibrewer

Reaction score
I want to buy a kit for my next batch because I have a 20% off coupon for my LHBS and I'm kind of cheap. But what I'm wanting to brew is a really aromatic/floral IPA. Think Sprecher's Hop on Top if you've ever had it. So I'm thinking about just brewing the Brewer's Best IPA kit and then dry hopping the hell out of it.
Is this a good idea and if so, any advice on which hops to use? I'm not sure which hops come with the kit, for some reason it doesn't list it on the website.

Thanks everybody.

Sure dry hops and I would increase the amount of late addition hops too.

Like an ounce at 5 minutes left and another once at Flame Out in addition to whatever the kit says.

Try Cascades.

Do it, you won't be disappointed. I second Cascade or Centennial. I just dry hopped a Stone IPA clone with 1oz Centennial and .5oz Citra and it is very tasty! I am going to brew another IPA with 1oz Cascade and 1oz Citra dry hop next.

Is the coupon only good for a kit? Another option might be to find a good recipe (like this one) which has a bunch of dry hops already...

is it possible the kit already comes with dry hops?

if not, go crazy - pick/mix/or match some centennial, cascade or citra and do like BendBrewer said with the late additions and dry hops

Much as it annoys me in other styles, you really can't overdo hop flavor/aroma in an IPA. If you are aiming for Sprecher's Hop on Top, most reviews say floral, not citrus. Crystal or Perle might be better choices than the 3Cs.

Is the coupon only good for a kit? Another option might be to find a good recipe (like this one) which has a bunch of dry hops already...

The coupon isn't only for a kit but it's 20% off of any one item, so if I buy a kit I can get a little more bang for my buck...sucks being poor.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Latest posts

Back