Dry-Hopping a Barley Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgrayson726

Reaction score
Obviously I'm going to dry hop the Barley Wine that I just brewed, but what hops should I dry-hop it with?

75% Columbus/25% Amarillo for bittering at 60 mins

50% Amarillo/50% Cascade for flavor at 30 mins

50% Amarillo/50% Chinook for flavor at 15 mins

100% Cascade at aroma mins

So I'm going to the brew store this weekend and I want to dry-hop this beer. Since I used 4 different types of hops, what would you suggest I choose for the dry-hopping?

1st choice I would go with 1/3 rillo's, 1/3 cascades, and 1/3 chinook. 1/4 of each wouldn't be bad either. If you just want to go with one I would go with either amarillo or cascade. If you did a 5 gal batch I would go with 2-4 oz total

I loved my dry hop mix of the 3 aroma/flavor hops you used - Amarillo, Cascade & Chinook. Great combo. Not too familiar with hopping barleywines, but the IPA I made used some caramunich 60, and had a nice malt backbone. Its on my list to rebrew...and the only change I'm considering is some finishing/dh Simcoe and maybe even some oak(in 1/2 of the batch). Got those ideas from a guy who used my same hop bill, but had these additions. Sounds grrreeat!! Good luck...I look forward to brewing a barleywine too, one of these days!

chapa: go check out my barley wine recipe I posted in the recipe forums. If you like hoppy beer, this is the beer for you! I think I'll go with your suggestion and add 2 oz amarillo, 1 oz cascade, and 1 oz chinook

Back