dry hoping ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zackmon21

Reaction score
i have a beer in primary it is my simple party beer light ale cascade hops 2oz, but my friend comes in 3 weeks from out of town and wants an ipa but i have no room to start for a couple days. If i put some warrior hops into the primary will this give an ipa flavor? I have 4oz and 13% alphas?

It would probably give it some more aroma similar to an IPAa, but I don't think you'll get anything close to as bitter as an IPA style beer should be without adding more bittering hops at the beginning of your boil.

This sound like an experiment I would try:

Boil an oz of the Warrior for an hour in a qt. of water. Last 5 min add a pound or more of amber DME depending on how much you want to bump the ABV. Cool to the fermentor temp. and add to your primary.

Dry hop with 1 oz cascade and 1 oz simcoe in 1 week. :)

Bottle in 2 weeks or preferably keg in 3 weeks and force carb.

It may be cloudy, but it should taste like an IPA

Good luck and let us know if it turns out for you.

Bull

I'm going to be dry hopping for the first time on a batch I brewed on Tuesday. Is it okay to throw the hops into the primary (a bucket) or should I rack the beer onto the hops in a carboy after it's done in the primary?

If I can put them in the primary, is there any technique to it, or a specific time during fermentation I should do it?

I didn't pitch a starter, so it took about a day to get going on fermentation. Right now, it's one day 2 of heavy airlock activity.

I'm going to be dry hopping for the first time on a batch I brewed on Tuesday. Is it okay to throw the hops into the primary (a bucket) or should I rack the beer onto the hops in a carboy after it's done in the primary?

If I can put them in the primary, is there any technique to it, or a specific time during fermentation I should do it?

I didn't pitch a starter, so it took about a day to get going on fermentation. Right now, it's one day 2 of heavy airlock activity.

Drop 'em in primary, but wait until fermentation completes or the CO2 will carry off all that hoppy goodness.

I tossed the hops in yesterday. Any advice on how long they should sit before bottling?

I tossed the hops in yesterday. Any advice on how long they should sit before bottling?

If they're leaf hops, I wouldn't let them sit in primary longer than a week as I've had certain hop varieties go stale on me before.

Pellets will probably hold up longer.

Never dry hopped with pellets, but using leaf I usually leave them in beween 5 and 14 days depending on my schedule. I usually aim for about a week though

A week is good, but since you friend will be here soon, you could bottle part of the batch in 3 days.

Back