dry hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHB

Reaction score
Hey guys, i am coming off a bad experience with the keg ball, tons of hop particles in beer, i am now gun shy with the dry hopping. How would i go about dry hopping directly into the fermenter with pellets and not get bunch of hops in the beer. How long shuld i leave them in and will they fall out?

thanks
GHB

I use whole hops for all my brewing and dry hopping. I also use a sanatized hop bag with lots of marbles to submerge them. I usually dry hop in the fermenter after a week or two. Another way to increase the aroma is double hop by dry hopping for a week, remove the hops and dry hop another oz or so for another week before kegging.
Using the whole hops and hop bag leaves no particles in the finished product.

I am currently dry hopping my first dry hopped beer and have some of the same questions. I racked from the primary to the secondary directly on top of the hop pellets. It has been about 1 week and the majority of the hops have settled to the bottom but there is still a fair amount floating on top. Should I expect this to all settle out or will some of the hops stay floating?

Crash cool for a day or two, then let the beer come back to room temp, then bottle...

When we bottle our IIPAs following this procedure hop particles never make their way into the bottling vessel let alone the bottle - and this is with dryhopping 2+ oz of pellets.

If you are bottling and there is a little hop particle it is no biggy. But when kegging it can ruin a great night by clogging up your system.

I would use a sack like mentioned above, or use a jelly filter (get it in the canning section) at the end of your siphon tube as it goes into your bottling bucket.

ive found using a metal coffee filter works great (easy to sanitize and reuse) plus the holes are small enough to filter out all particles.

Crash cool 3 days or so (may improve clarity also). If the hops are still in solution, I sanitize a cut up nylon grain bag and attach this to the bottom of my autosiphon with rubber bands (sanitized also). Works for me.... Cheap and easy

I dry hop with loose leaf hops and rarely get more than a leaf or two into the final batch of bottles.

Is the "keg ball" the OP mentions the stainless teaball? Or is it a less efficient version of the same thing? Tea balls are my go to method.

I've been dry hopping directly to my keg using a sanitized nylon stocking, works great, have had no problems. I take the stocking out when the keg is dry.

Back