dry hop without getting floaties

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfraier

Reaction score
I've read that a bunch of you just pitch the pellet hops in the secondary and then rack carefully to the keg or bottling bucket. Every time I try to do this I get a bunch of left over hops in the beer.

I kegged an IPA that was dry hopped 10 days ago. It isn't aged and carbed yet but the samples I pulled have a bunch of hop floaties in it. How can I strain them as I pour and what do I do different with the next batch to avoid this.

On the upside flavor wise this is one of the best I've done and I can't wait to taste it in a few weeks......minus the hop chunks I hiope.

I let it sit and I swirl my carboy.most of the hop material ends up on the bottom. I haven't had much of a problem with clarity or chunks.

Before I keg my beer I put my dry hops in a muslin bag, tie it up, then wedge it halfway down between the dip tube and the keg wall. Basically using the keg as a secondary. This is the best method as far as I am concerned.

spenghali said:
Before I keg my beer I put my dry hops in a muslin bag, tie it up, then wedge it halfway down between the dip tube and the keg wall. Basically using the keg as a secondary. This is the best method as far as I am concerned.

Spenghali I'm thinking about dry hopping my next batch. After you rack to your keg do you put it in a kegerator or keep it at room temp to age? And would a lower temp effect the dry hopping process?

I stick it in my storage room where it is usually about 50-60F. Then when I'm ready to tap it, I just stick it in my fridge and force carb it for a day or two. You could just keep it at room temp if you wanted too. The warmer the temperature the faster the hop oils are drawn into the beer. Not really sure how much of a difference 10 degrees makes.

Cold crashing will drop those hop bits in a couple days. You can also filter some of it with a nylon bag over the racking cane.

I swirl my carboy once a day when dry hopping to get the particulate to sink down. If I've timed my dry hopping right then by the end of the dry-hop schedule my carboy shouldn't have any floaters as there's very little CO2 production and off-gassing to lift them back up.

Before I keg I'll drop in a clarifier and let it sit for 24-48 hours which will drop out a bit more of the suspended material.

I just stole pantry hose from the wife and stuck the racking cane inside it. Ifyou use an auto siphon like me the clip it comes with will hold it in place. According to the wife the one she donated has a reinforced toe. It works amazingly to keeps all the floaties and junk from making its way into the keg or bottling bucket.

I have only dry hopped twice now. The first time, when I went to transfer to the bottling bucket, there were a lot of the hops that made it to the bucket and subsequently into my bottles. No biggie, but I just don't like the thought of it. The second time, I came up with the idea to use the bag i purchased from AHS to do my partial mashes in and put it in my bottling bucket and rack the beer into the bucket so that when I use the spigot the hops get trapped in the bag and do not end up in the beer. Worked like a charm. I just did that this past week, so i'll let ya know how they turned out in a couple weeks.

Back