dry hop variety suggestion??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aksea102

Reaction score
I recently brewed a black ale (my 1st partial mash!!) and I believe I will dry hop it when I transfer to secondary.
Recipe: 2-row, de-bittered black malt, crystal 90, amber LME, 3/4oz Galena @ 60, 1/4oz Galena @ 15, S-04 dry yeast.
In the past I have dry hopped with many of the usual suspects...cascade, centennial, amarillo...
For this batch I'd like to try a different hop variety.
Any suggestions (and why)??
Thanks!

I would stick with Galena and see what it gives, but it depends what you want or what you think it will need.

chinook is gaining in dry-hopping popularity. i don't know what it'll do with a black ale, but it couldn't be too bad.

Bramling Cross is my new favourite dry hop (ie most recent...). Dark berry fruity taste will go well with roast flavours I reckon.

My last batch was an all-chinook ipa, so I'll probably pass on the chinook dry hop. (Thanks though :) ) But WOW! I gotta say, my chinook ipa is AWESOME!!

did you dry hop with chinook in that one? i just dry hopped an all late addition IPA with chinook and am curious to know how you liked it.

Back