Dry hop switch bc beer is too fruity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mijclarke

Reaction score
I was planning a juicy west coast style but bc of higher mash temp, hop selection and warmer fermentation temp, it seems to be trending toward a clear NEIPA. On day 8 it tasted kind of like a Hefeweizen and smelling it on Day 10 it’s very pineapple juice like. I used 1oz each of Amarillo and dorado at 20 min in a hop spider and then did a whirlpool of 2oz of Bru-1. Was planning on dry hopping with 1oz Amarillo and 1 oz of dorado but now I’m wondering if I ditch the dorado and do a couple ounces of chinook or something to balance the sweet pineapple. There’s currently about 4 gallons in my 5 gallon Corny keg. It’s been soft crashing for 24 hours and I have a floating dip tube (FLOTit 2.0). Any suggestions?

You can make a hop tea with Chinook by boiling hops in water for 30 minutes. Take out a sample of beer as you have float tube, add few drops of tea and see if you like it. You can take it from there.

Happy to report that the beer has a nice amount of bitterness and hopefully what I bottled doesn’t oxidize. Dry hop and sitting on hops for a week may have transformed it closer to a west coast

Yeah I think giving it a week to settle and carbonate in the keg will drop the yeast and really change how it comes accross. Sounds like a good beer. Note, I've never been a fan of El Dorado because of a sweet/candy like flavor I've had when i use it a couple of times. Maybe something you are experiencing too.

Drank two bottles since my last post. First one (capped 12oz bottle) was near bottom of keg and bc floating dip tube wasn't fully submerged the bottle filled with alot of foam. Fortunately it didn't seem oxidized (if it were hopped more and had oats I think it probably would have because I just filled from the tap and held chilled bottle at an angle). The bitterness was quite strong - more than i prefer. Then I opened a swing top bottle (1 pint 6oz) that filled nicely and only had 1/2 inch of headspace. Fortunately that bottle was less bitter bc it was drawn near the top of the keg. Another difference was that the malt character shined through a little. The bitter bottle didn't seem to have any malt character at all. I would say this beer is a success but to be honest it doesn't wow me. As a new homebrewer that is very anal I'm a little naive to think that it will be loaded with flavor and perfectly clean. Of the 7 batches I've done this is probably the cleanest beer I've made but the flavor profile is good but not great. In the future I'll be doing higher than 6% abv and using more than 6oz of hops. Also using a neutral yeast (liquid chico strain from Omega) may have been another reason it lacked flavor.

Back