Dry hop removal before bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoaru99

Reaction score
My tentative plan is to bottle this Sunday. The beer has been dry hopping in the primary for one week, the hops are in a hop sack weighted to sink to the bottom.

I am going out of town for most of the weekend starting a bit later today. Was thinking maybe pull the hop sack today and cold crash the beer until bottling. My concern is that since the hop sack is on the bottom, with quite a lot of weight, it's going to pull up a fair bit of cake bits and trub when I lift it out.

Does pulling the hop sack today and cold crashing sound like a good plan, or just leave the hop sack in the brew until bottling day and rack out with as little disturbance possible, accepting any additional loss from not draining the hop sack? It's 8.5oz of hop pellets so there is probably a fair amount absorbed.

Done deal, and temp turned down.

This stuff should be good, dare I say great!

OG and FG pretty much spot on for 6.2% like the original (Surly Furious), nice hop bitterness and great piney yet fruity aroma. This is going to be a long next ~3 weeks :)

Back