Dry hop question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwbeer

Reaction score
So I plan on dry hopping for the first time.

For a 5 Gallon batch. My recipe says to dry hop 1 oz Centennial hop pellets and .5 oz Chinook pellets.

Should i use the entire 1 oz bag of Chinook or stick to the recipe???

Wanting others opinions. What are your thoughts?

I have little experience with Chinook hops and zero experience with dry hopping.

Without knowing the rest of the recipe, but assuming that any beer calling for a dry hop of 1.5 oz American hops could deal with 2, I say go for it. Centennial/Chinook is a nice combo IMO.

I usually dry hop with at least 2 oz and usually 3 or 4 so I would use the whole ounce. It only adds aroma and not bitterness so you don't need to worry about over bittering. Be sure fermentation is complete (10 - 14 days) before you add the dry hops. Active fermentation will drive the aroma away.

Thanks guys.

Its a Stone IPA clone that i modified a little.

Think 2oz should be good???

If you really want to get the aroma and flavor do a 3 oz hop stand and 3 oz dry hop. To do the hop stand, cool your boiled wort to 175F, add your hops and let it sit for 30 min +/-. Then finish cooling to pitching temp. Dry hop as described before. The hop stand gives you a lot of flavor but, as with dry hopping, it doesn't add bitterness.

Should i keep the S airlock on during dry hopping or should i seal it with a piece of sanitized foil with a rubber band?

If you really want to get the aroma and flavor do a 3 oz hop stand and 3 oz dry hop. To do the hop stand, cool your boiled wort to 175F, add your hops and let it sit for 30 min +/-. Then finish cooling to pitching temp. Dry hop as described before. The hop stand gives you a lot of flavor but, as with dry hopping, it doesn't add bitterness.

I may have to try this hopstand thing. Does this impart a lot more flavor than just dry hopping?

Latest posts

Back